IGNORED

stem bearings of GL1800

Hummingbird

has anybody replaced the stem (top and bottom) bearings on an 1800 GoldWing. I understand that is being done to Trikes because the factory bearings don't hold up to the triple tree revision. :puzzled:

Is this a job for a real mechanic ? me being just a play mechanic

My advice would be to register on gl1800riders.com and read what they have to say. A real wealth of info there. The people can sometimes be jerks....not as friendly as here....but they really know their stuff when it comes to your 1800.

A lot of owners do it themselves. It's not all that tough from what I've read, just have to follow instructions and take your time. I'm planning on doing mine this winter. I've replaced my rear shock spring, it can't be anywhere near as challenging as that!

Joe

My advice would be to register on gl1800riders.com and read what they have to say. A real wealth of info there. The people can sometimes be jerks....not as friendly as here....but they really know their stuff when it comes to your 1800.

A lot of owners do it themselves. It's not all that tough from what I've read, just have to follow instructions and take your time. I'm planning on doing mine this winter. I've replaced my rear shock spring, it can't be anywhere near as challenging as that!

Joe

I already know that it takes a "special" 40mm socket that runs about a dollar a mm to buy it. Then you need a 3/8 drive torque wrench as well as a digital scale to test for proper torque. I'm really leaning toward a local shop (that is not a Honda dealer) does work on all types of bikes. He's a retired mechanic from Timken and has a thriving bike tire and "fix-it" shop.

I'm really hesitant to 'join' another bike group - I totally happy here.

btw - look at what Jaybird did to my bike in the thread 'neighborhood'

I already know that it takes a "special" 40mm socket that runs about a dollar a mm to buy it. Then you need a 3/8 drive torque wrench as well as a digital scale to test for proper torque. I'm really leaning toward a local shop (that is not a Honda dealer) does work on all types of bikes. He's a retired mechanic from Timken and has a thriving bike tire and "fix-it" shop.

I'm really hesitant to 'join' another bike group - I totally happy here.

btw - look at what Jaybird did to my bike in the thread 'neighborhood'

I only use that forum when I need to learn something.

I socialize here. Those dudes over there can get pretty mean spirited.

Joe