IGNORED

Scoot Lift

PVSoonerFan

Has anyone used the air operated motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight? If so, how well did it work and would you recommend it? I have been looking at the 1200# capacity one and figure it would work great not only for changing oil, etc, but for detailing.

Thanks in advance

We used one when we had a tech day here in Amarillo. I don't which model it was but it lifted all of our bikes with no problems. The only things I would change would be to change out the front wheel chock with an automatic one and add some sort of place to put your feet while sitting on the bike. I'm 6 ft tall and could not reach with both feet. Luckily Obber is taller than myself and he had the privilege to mount all bikes on the ramps while everyone else tied the bike down.

I recently bought the air/hydraulic lift from HF just before Christmas. While it appears to be cheaply made from China it does seem to work OK. It took me a couple of uses to get the hang of getting the bike tied down to suit me. I found that the wheel chock/clamp doesn't work if you pull all the way to the front stop. I put a 4x4 block in front of the stop and with that the clamp hits the tire properly. I leave the clamp tightened so that it takes a bit of effort to push it into the stop. I then get off very carefully and the bike is held until I can secure it with straps. As for the lift actuator it works fine. The air cylinder just actuates pump for the hydraulic cylinder to raise the lift. Not real fast but certainly more convenient than pumping with you foot. Overall I'm statisfied with the unit. If I ran a shop and needed to use it daily I would probably buy something more substantial. But for occasional use this one is fine.

DT

Thanks for the report DT. I initally was looking at the 1000# unit that was air/hydraulic, but am leaning toward the all air operated unit. The ram looks larger and a bit more substantial. I also notice that they sell outriggers for the lifts so that you can put riding mowers, etc on them which would be a huge help. I would imagine that you could "re-vamp" the front tire vise assembly so that it would hold the bike a little better also. I recently built a friend a cycle trailer and install a front tire mount like the lift that David posted a link to and it seems to work great for him. I still have the dxf file for it which would enable me to cut one out on my PlasmaCam.