As you can see in the pictures, I have one more cover to polish. All the covers started out looking like the stator cover. The other covers I started with 220 grit sandpaper, and worked my way up to 800 grit before switching to polishing compounds. The third image is of the stator cover after using paint stripper to remove the old finish. With this one I'm thinking of just using Black Emery polishing compound to clean up the ugly spots first then work on the whole case, working my way up to Red Rouge. I tried this on a couple of spots in the last two pics. I'm using a Dremel Tool with wool polishing wheels.

Bill

As you can see in the pictures, I have one more cover to polish. All the covers started out looking like the stator cover. The other covers I started with 220 grit sandpaper, and worked my way up to 800 grit before switching to polishing compounds. The third image is of the stator cover after using paint stripper to remove the old finish. With this one I'm thinking of just using Black Emery polishing compound to clean up the ugly spots first then work on the whole case, working my way up to Red Rouge. I tried this on a couple of spots in the last two pics. I'm using a Dremel Tool with wool polishing wheels.

Bill

Have you used steelwool yet?? Use it with a lit oil. Will help the grim come off an it also helps polish..Tri it let me no how it worked for you.

Bill

They look good But, It looks like a lot of elbow grease work. I just took mine to the locale Chromer who dropped them in a vat of chemical cleaner then professionally buffed them out which came out as nice and also cleaned all of the little nooks and crannies.

I originally started this project to fill in my off time while at sea. I had thought of a professional polisher, but only after I started this. It is more work than I thought. Is it costly to have these polished? I hadn't thought about clear coating them, other than with clear lacquer, but then it was mentioned that I could get them clear powder coated. I wonder what that costs? For now, I will finish these up, and hit them with clear lacquer. In the future I may take them in and have them professionally polished.

I originally started this project to fill in my off time while at sea. I had thought of a professional polisher, but only after I started this. It is more work than I thought. Is it costly to have these polished? I hadn't thought about clear coating them, other than with clear lacquer, but then it was mentioned that I could get them clear powder coated. I wonder what that costs? For now, I will finish these up, and hit them with clear lacquer. In the future I may take them in and have them professionally polished.
It has been several years ago since I have done this so I do not have a clear memory of what I paid. I'm Guessing a couple hundred bucks but I do not recall exactly. I do know that after time if you don't stay on top of polishing them or protecting them the shine will eventually fade. But still much better than the discolored coating applied at the factory.