IGNORED

Got stuck in 5th gear on the way home.

I just replaced the shift shaft seal over the weekend and it seemed to go well. I rode 40 miles to work today no problem. On the way home I needed to downshift for slowing traffic, and I could not push the shifter down to get into 4th gear. The only odd thing I noticed when putting the clutch basket assembly back together was that when I put the splined thrust washer on after the clutch basket, the place on the shaft where the thrust washer ends up has no splines. I thought that was strange, but I know I put the washer on in the correct order, after the basket but before the rest of the assembly. The clutch pull at the handlebar did seem not quite as firm tonight, but that could have been my imagination as I was looking for possible causes as I rode. Each time I could not downshift, I waited a few seconds and tried again and it worked. I upshifted with no problem. Any ideas?

1st thought was a dropped shift segment pin, BUT I think your 93 has the upgraded segment that can't drop a pin, and I know a missing pin will prevent an upshift, but not sure about preventing a down shift.

Here I link to thread where I learned where the splined washer goes-thanks Rocket

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48414

SO, I think only likely other option would be something jamed in, or bent the external shift arms/links. Maybe a ball joint froze up.