IGNORED

Digital laser thermometers

Venturous Randy

Depending on what you plan to use it for, many (most) of the cheap IR temp guns do not work well checking the temp of chrome, aluminum or other shiny metals. Idealy they like to look at a flat black surface. For a little more money you can get them with adjustable emissivity that will allow you to do Temp check of bare metals much more accurately.

Depending on what you plan to use it for, many (most) of the cheap IR temp guns do not work well checking the temp of chrome, aluminum or other shiny metals. Idealy they like to look at a flat black surface. For a little more money you can get them with adjustable emissivity that will allow you to do Temp check of bare metals much more accurately.

Yes, I realize that there may be some problems with reading off chrome, but for a quick check for reading off the exhaust near the head, this thing works very good and is a lot better than touching the exhaust pipe looking for a dead cylinder.

How much "A little more money" are you talking about, as I posted this because of the low price?

RandyA

This is the one I have that has adjustable emissivity. http://tempgun.com/products/pe2/

It also has a narrow viewing angle so you can get the temp of the spot you are really after.

The one that you posted the pic is just blurry enough that I can not read the chart on the side to see how big the view is at a given distance.

I have seen some with as bad as a 1:1 viewing angle.

Edited by Flyinfool