IGNORED

[computer tech]Raspberry Pi

RandyR

I came up on the waiting list today and was able to order one of the Raspberry Pi single board computers. Paid for it via Paypal. Says up to 3 week delivery time.

Raspberry Pi is a single board computer the size of a cigarette pack. Runs linux. total cost for the computer was $43 inc postage. requires a usb keyboard & mouse & video (one of several options). And a way to download their version of linux to a 4gb SD memory card. Or you can buy a pre-loaded memory card for another $18.

The computer was designed by some university types in the UK for use by school kids learning to program. But at the price, a lot of people who want to try linux and programming are going to buy one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Guest tx2sturgis

Another way to get your feet wet with Linux is to buy a Zotac Zbox for around $200, add a hard drive, keyboard, monitor and mouse, and of course install Linux.

Or install Linux from a live CD as a dual-boot on your current or even an older PC or laptop. The out-of-pocket cost there would be at or near zero.

Or...buy a Roku set-top box.

Or, just surf the internet. Around 80% of websites worldwide are hosted on Linux running Apache server.

Even Android phones are using a version of Linux called, amazingly...Android.

Linux is a great OS...with over 30,000 free apps for your desktop or laptop...but so many people in the USA think that a PC has to be running Windows to get anything done. Not true at all.

Have fun and let us know how you like the Pi.

:happy34:

I'm on a couple of waiting lists. Pacing back and forth (in my head). Looks like a lot of fun.

I suspect the hardest part of this will be finding a 4 Gb SD card.

..but so many people in the USA think that a PC has to be running Windows to get anything done.

Personally I've found Windows inhibits my ability to get things done.

I'm on a couple of waiting lists. Pacing back and forth (in my head). Looks like a lot of fun.

I suspect the hardest part of this will be finding a 4 Gb SD card.

Personally I've found Windows inhibits my ability to get things done.

Walmart has the SD cards.

SD Card I would be looking at a 32 gig if it would run it or is the 4 gig the limit? Now about that tuning software for the bike, run your own ECM from it along with GPS, Engine readout, tire pressure, sound system, tunner, MP3 player...... And all you would need is a LCD touch screen waterproof of course. you could do away with on the bike the radio, speedometer, any gauging could be done on screen. Whole new dash layout.... Talk about a project.....

Here is a nice size, 10" long 2 inputs with a camera....