IGNORED

RSV tire change

Kirby

I know a lot of you have seen the Youtube video on changing a Goldwing tire by laying the bike on it's side. I was wondering has anyone tried to do this with the RSV? If you start by taking off the saddlebags and the axle nut, couldn't this be done by laying the bike on the left side? I know there's more that has to be done, like taking off the brake caliper and stay, and the right exhaust muffler, but has anyone tried this? It looks like it would work if you're out in the boonies somewhere and don't have access to a lift.

It works on the Goldwing because the crash bars are designed for it. Also, the 5 lugs are all on one side on the Wing, which is also a single sided swingarm too. I shudder to think what would happen if we laid an RSV over on its side. The axle has to pass through to be removed, unlike the Wings mounting. Mufflers off, caliper off....etc. It just wouldnt be worth it in my opinion.

Guest scarylarry

I don't think bikes are made to lay on their side for any reason...

A MC jack and carbon one adapter is all one would need no air or electric require...

I use a impact to remove the axle bolt but never put it on with a impact, I want to know when the torque is right..

If I own a GW I would still use a MC jack

I agree with you both on all accounts since I do all my own tire changing. I use the lift and adapter all the time at home. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this. I know I layed mine over a couple of times when I first got it with no ill effects. Both times it just layed over on the crashbars.

Carefully laying a GW on its right side to change the tire / rear bake pads / clean it, does not do a thing to it. I have done it many many times..

Placing an old folded up towel under each rigth side crash bar, and then carefully laying it over onto the towels where it is sitting on the crash bars wont mar the finish and nothing happens inside the motor..(water or oil)..I have let mine sit in this position for 4 plus hours one time and it caused no harm. It just appears to be the wrong thing to do when you see a bike laying on its side...the normal thought process is bikes are supposed to be up on the two wheels at all times..

Oh you could bet if I owned a table lift, I would not lay it on its side, but I dont.

I had a jack at one time, but a GW 1800 and a jack is a little flimsy...I used to place a jack stand under the rear shock and set the GW down on it just to help ballance/ support it when working on it..The RSV fits the jack a lot better then a GW.