IGNORED

Ran into the PO of my bike last night.

Snaggletooth

I was out prowling the city on the '84 last evening and wandered into the area where the PO that had my bike before I bought it lived. On a whim I thought I'd swing by and see if he was around. I couldn't remember the house but I knew the street so off I went. As luck was with me I saw him turn around and look as I headed up the hill towards his place.

As I pulled into his driveway he was just staring at the bike. All he said when I got off was "That can't be the same bike?" Well, yeah it is. How many other '84 Yammys have ya sold? But the day he sold it to me he dropped it off on a trailer, not running and many parts off the bike in boxes. I could tell he hated to let it go but I only knew a little bit about why. The only time after that was the early summer after I got it he stopped by and I had it back together, street legal and running. He was impressed it was even running at all. That was 2007.

His Dad had bought the bike new in '84 from a local dealer. Had it all that time until he got older and wanted a lighter bike but he kept the Venture for the long rides but he passed away shortly after that. The son kept the '84 as it was part of remembering his Dad. It sat in his garage for 9 years unridden, but cared for. Over those 9 years he would find leaks and remove parts to try to fix then. Never got them done and parts went into boxes. I'll thank him for that, they were all there.

But we spent an hour talking about the bike. He was shocked at the changes I had made and all the modifactions done. He was happpy the bike was being cared for and ridden. I've put over 30,000 miles on it since I bought it. His Dad would have been happy about that.

But it made my night as I knew I had made someone happy, other than me, that be bike was still road worthy and being taken care of like it had been for all those years by his Dad.

I just wish the two of them had some decent screwdrivers between them. I mentioned the stripped out Phillips heads I had found on the bike and the son laughed and asked me how many I'd had to replace. "About all of them."

Mike