IGNORED

Home From Thunder Beach

Bobby G

Had a great long weekend with the wife and some friends at Thunder Beach Spring Bike Week in Panama City Beach FL. My first one, and it was quite the experience. The weather was awesome while there (not so great coming home!), the visual experience was "interesting" (I'll leave it at that!), and we met some really terrific people. Overall, it was pretty much what I expected. Local media put the numbers at between 75,000 and 80,000 bikes and 100,000+ visitors. Based on my informal survey of state tags, I'd say the vast majority were from GA (no surprise). We didn't get a place to stay until we arrived, and got a very nice 2 BR ocean front condo right in the middle of the action for about $120/night. Tons of availability from what I could tell. And everything is fee-free....no cover charges, parking fees, entry fees or any other kind of extra expenses for anything! That part was really nice. And there are more bike vendors spread out all over the entire 10 mile stretch of PCB then you could ever see in a week....anything you want, you can find. My only issue is that the entire event is sooooooo H-D oriented, which was OK for the wife, but not much for the Yami or Kawi crowd by way of aftermarket anything. The factory promo trucks were nowhere to be found either, except for Can-Am. But other than that, I'd say it was a pretty fun weekend to take in the total "biker" experience. We might do it again in the Fall for "Thunder Beach - Part II".

Thanks for the article. It is quite disappointing that MOST events are HD "more" friendly. We ride what we ride because of various reasons. With that said, it shouldn't matter who, what, where & how when it comes to riding. It's all about the riding and friendship rather than WHAT one rides. I've always been a Yamaha guy, who started with a V-Star 650, then a 1100 V-Star, Roadstar and then finally my Venture. I will continue enjoying my Venture while numerous of my friends have HD's.

Jakbag

Edited by Jakbag

Thanks Bobby, I had seen a little on the Thunder on the Beach on Born To Ride show. I think they have a TV web site now also. But it looked different from Bike Week and that because it was a multiple area type deal. WE went to Leesburg a couple weeks ago for their bikefest and it was interesting. We did pay to park or else we would have rode around for 40 min or more looking for parking. Would have been OK for our RSV but I think the Harley guys we were with would have overheated and quit. lol

I guess when the yuppy crowd started riding they all thought "motorcycle" was a HD. Those of us that have rode for years have maybe a better idea of what we want? I dunno. We do all ride for different reasons. Sounds like you rode your down, see if you would have had a HD you would have trailered it.

We actually did see quite a few overheated Harley's down there, as traffic was pretty insane on the main drag getting to the various venues. In some spots it was like trying to squeeze 30 lbs. of sugar into a 5 lb. bag. Fun, but insane.