IGNORED

RPMs @ 70 MPH

vicco27

Ok, So I get this straight , it is better to run 4th at 70 then 5th ???? I plan on riding this top work to save fuel $ and if 4th is better then 5th please let me know.

I normally shift when RPM's get 3000 is this to early gas mileage wise ? BTW, I love this site !

Given you are running a 1st gen( I had to look at your profile because you don't have it noted), I can not imagine that running in 4th instead of 5th would give you better gas mileage at 70 mph. On an RSTD with higher gearing, it may be about the same.

What mileage are you getting now?

RandyA

The RSTD has a higher 5th gear than the RSV and both are higher than the 1st gen. This is one of the reasons the RSTD seems to be under powered if not revved up more.

RandyA

I didn't realize the gearing was different. Is there no end of things to learn?? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the valuable information!

Dave

@Rosie1965: When I started the whole project I measured the circumference of the new rear tire I had just bought and put on the bike. I went looking for car tires that had the same circumference which I found and bought right after I bought the 1991 Cougar Independent Rear Suspension complete with the 3.27 to 1 gear set and original wheels.

Changing the gear set out to a 3.08 to 1 is no big deal and at my cost won't be that much more than new tires. The old new ones I would then be throwing away!! That doesn't make sense.