After installing a set of LA Choppers Oval Bag Slash Slip on pipes I quickly discovered how much more "popping and crackling" was going on in the pipes....I decided to purchase a jet kit from Factory Pro ("drop in" requiring no slide drilling) #crb-y92-1.0. This decision was based on the majority of opinions that the RSTD's are lean from the factory.

Just picked up bike today. Crackling & popping and occasional backfire upon decel. and hard throttle have been cured! Much more pleasant (IMHO) to my ears, no pops or garbled sounds on downshifts either. Occassionally when you back off throttle quickly after hard accell. there is a "pop" - but just one (grin) not the "dozens" as before and this does not happen each time.

If you're curious the install was a coule hund. bucks (+100 for jet kit). Oh yeah, plus a few "hun." for pipes......Oh well, nuthin' comes cheap nowadays anyhow.

These pipes are a deep throaty rumble at idle and produce a sharp mid-tone bark when snapping throttle. I like the idle a lot, throttle bark is nice too; however, the cruising volume on highway could get old on long trips.....I think I'll look into wrapping the baffles with steel wool (two brothers racing) or fiberglass packing. Anybody have an idea as to what percentage of volume reduction can be had by packing baffles? (These pipes are the same as the Baron's Oval Bag Slash Pipes)

Anyway, it may not be necessary to jet this bike with stock or slip-on pipes but it sure smoothes down the exhaust note a lot! (Popping and crackling and occassiona back/afterfire accurred with stock pipes as well.

Later & Advice/opinion is always welcome!

I was having the same problem with my slip on Nasty Boy pipes and K & N filters on my 09 RSV. It was popping in between shifting gears mostly. As directed by Carbon One all I did was change my pilot jets to 17.5 from the factory 15. The popping has gone away thanks to Carbon One.

I did this on Maintenance day @ Kreggerdoodles. Total cost was $10.35 for the jets.

Hal :cool10:

Edited by Santa Hal

I was having the same problem with my slip on Nasty Boy pipes and K & N filters on my 09 RSV. It was popping in between shifting gears mostly. As directed by Carbon One all I did was change my pilot jets to 17.5 from the factory 15. The popping has gone away thanks to Carbon One.

I did this on Maintenance day @ Kreggerdoodles. Total cost was $10.35 for the jets.

Hal :cool10:

Thats a pretty good price. I just ordered 4 jets online and it cost 21.76 including shipping.

Here is the site I used

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/53/90/380/1361/-/24380/Pro-X-N224.103-Series-Mikuni-Pilot-Jet/MIKUNI+JET