IGNORED

83 radio

chocking

Hi,

Question?? My radio/ cassette on my 83 VR cuts in and out... Will sound fine out of both speakers while idling.. Put it in gear and sometimes it cuts out.. sometimes goes to one speaker or the other, sometimes sounds great. Same with Cass. Perfect at times.. almost nil at others.. a good bang on the volume switch will occasionally fix it otherwise not..

I have heard that the pins sometimes are bent or do not connect well...

Looking at another radio or 2 on e-bay... not the best luck?

Any similar experiences or successes. I have thought about retro fitting a marine radio. but would really prefer to keep factory..

Clay

Is there someone close to you with a 1st gen so that you can try your radio in their bike and vise versa? I have a problem with mine and sound only comes out of one side. I've determined that the cassette and radio on the top are not the problem so it has to be the main unit inside the fairing or a broken wire somewhere. Marcarl let me put mine in his bike and it worked fine. His in my bike did the same thing.

Hi,

Question?? My radio/ cassette on my 83 VR cuts in and out... Will sound fine out of both speakers while idling.. Put it in gear and sometimes it cuts out.. sometimes goes to one speaker or the other, sometimes sounds great. Same with Cass. Perfect at times.. almost nil at others.. a good bang on the volume switch will occasionally fix it otherwise not..

I have heard that the pins sometimes are bent or do not connect well...

Looking at another radio or 2 on e-bay... not the best luck?

Any similar experiences or successes. I have thought about retro fitting a marine radio. but would really prefer to keep factory..

Clay

The radio on my '83 does the same thing. Sometimes it plays...sometimes it doesn't. Same thing with the speakers... I think it's dirty plugs under the radio control panal, or the plug into the amp. To lazy to tear into it, so I just let it do it's thing. Besides at 50mph+ you can't hear much anyway.... and my headset sounds like crap.... :)

• 2 years later...

I have an 83.It had similar problems.Some of my buttons did not work on my radio controller. I tore apart an old cassette deck I had and replaced the surface mount buttons I took from my deck to solve the problem.I took the radio module out ,cleaned my pins and losened the connectors to adjust for a better pin seat.I have no cut out and my radio works great.If your display is wierd that for sure is the problem.I dont have a radio, but I do have controller parts.Let me know how you do.:12101: