IGNORED

Head set wiring for speakers.

So I have a little project I would like to complete. I bought 2 male pigtails that fit into the standard tank plug. My goal is to just wire a 3.5 female stereo plug into the end. This should allow me to plug in my normal stereo plug into the tank plug and listen to the radio through my existing helmet setup.

I currently listen to my Jimmy Buffett :cool10: though a small music stick.

QUESTION: Why can't I hear the music by just hooking the #5 (right speaker wire) and #3 (left speaker wire) wires to the female plug and then plugging my existing stereo patch wire into the 3.5 plug ? Do I need a different female receptor than a normal 3.5 female ?

I have check the continuity in the wires and they are OK.

I have tried it and it just doesn't work..:confused24:

Gonna have to have a ground in there...

electricity is like water, it has to flow "through" the circuit to work.

So the should the #2 Ground be soldered to the center ground ? I tried touching it to the center pole, and just got a loud static squeal..:confused24:

Do I need a different end plug ?

The mic lead is inside the "center" ground and that ground is for the mic.

The wires you want are red, white and the outside shield for the common.

The common for the earphones is on pin 2. L/R audio is on pins 3 and 5.

The lead from pin 2 goes to the case on your audio jack. That'll be the outside braid, if you're using a shielded cable. Don't know off hand the convention for L/R on the other two.

Edited by MiCarl

I found out that for the helmet leads.. I had to reveres the pins. The diagram shows the female end. Once I reversed the pins, it worked. Going to finish up the two helmet leads and see how they work. Need a small soldering iron.