IGNORED

Anybody done Napa Valley in Mar/Apr??

Semi-retired

My wife and I are hoping to visit the Napa Valley wine region........and maybe rent a bike to get around on while we're out there.

We live in St. Catharines, Ontario, near Niagara Falls.......so we won't be riding all the way out to California. :-) Our plan is to fly in to San Fran and rent a bike there.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before/recently and has any recommendations about sources for bikes and/or places to stay......in Frisco and/or out Napa way.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Let me know when you are heading out there and I'll hook you up with my sister who is the COO of Tulip Hill Winery just up from Napa in Lake County. (Tulip Hill is moving to a new location, but they still have the tasting room open.) Lake County and Mendacino County is the new hotbed of California wineries these days and you wouldn't want to miss it. She can give you some great places to visit and maybe a VIP tour to boot.

Edited by Bobby G

My wife and I did this in May 2006. We flew into SF and rented an Electra Glide from Eagle Rider and spent a week riding around northern California. We spent 2 nights in Calistoga at the the Calistoga Inn. There is some of the best scenery in this area. If you have time ride through Weaverville and check out the Trinity Alps. The PCH is a great ride. Avenue of the Giants and Armstrong Forest are 2 places that you want to see.

We met several really nice people along the way that gave us info on places to see.

Enjoy the trip

Let me know when you are heading out there ...... She can give you some great places to visit and maybe a VIP tour to boot.

Hey, Bobby!

Thanks very much for your kind offer; we'll definitely give you a shout when we're ready to hit the road (or the runway!) We're keeping an eye on Frisco weather in the meantime to see if it's reasonable/logical to expect to get some "comfortable" riding in out there within the next month or so. (We're not wusses......but, it's also not our plan to "relax" by riding in cold-rainy conditions.)

Even if we're confined to a 4-wheeler, we'll have fun, I'm sure. (We can always play it by ear and try for a last minute bike rental once we're out there I guess.) We'll let the wine take front row center on this trip......and if it looks like riding the Pacific Coast Highway is a bucket list must-do......we can always go back!

Talk soon!

Mike

I hope you have a great trip. My buddy Don and I, along with our wives, are planning a trip to Napa as well, around the 21st of May. Our wives are taking the train, as Leslie is too nervous to ride any long distances.

Have a good one, Will. Looks like a nice run down the coast for you two!!

My wife and I visited my sister in San Jose some years back, during August. We went to San Francisco one morning, getting there about 9:30. Damn near turned blue when we stepped out of our vehicle! Seems it gets quite cool at night up there even if it has been hot the previous day. We had to visit indoors till around noon when the morning fog had burned off and let the sun heat things up to more comfortable levels. You may want to watch for that, especially if you're going in April or May. Just a thought!

Andy