IGNORED

Moonshine Lunch Run

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

Dan - I've never been myself, but if you look at the History part of the website, you can see how quickly it is growing in terms of attendance.

I've booked my room at the Comfort Inn in Casey already (now I'm just hoping the weather cooperates).

Cheers,

I was there for the 2nd annual. It is a ride you do to say you've done it (and I have the T-shirt! ) Hundreds of people come from hundreds of miles to eat there on this run. I think it started with an MTF member so lots of LD riders show. The burgers are good, the people are real riders. When I went it didn't get over freezing all day and I left home at around 5am!

Dan - I've never been myself, but if you look at the History part of the website, you can see how quickly it is growing in terms of attendance.

I've booked my room at the Comfort Inn in Casey already (now I'm just hoping the weather cooperates).

Cheers,

Lou did you book room for you and your wife or just for you. do you wanna share, or i'll book another one for me?

Let me know.

Guest BluesLover
Lou did you book room for you and your wife or just for you. do you wanna share, or i'll book another one for me?

Let me know.

Hi Dan - I'm not sure if the best half is going yet or not ... so I do have a room with a king size bed booked just in case. And no ... I ain't "spooning" with anyone else ... even you!!! :rotf::whistling::no-no-no:

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
Guest oneshot

terry, the guy that started the moonshine run is a

friend of mine, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

i plan to be there for the diner friday evening. i couldn't

get a room at the comfort inn for friday, so i'll be staying

at the budget in greenup, about 10 miles east, on friday.

then i'll be at the comfort in casey on saturday.

i went last year and had a great time but had to cut my

stay short because of an emergency back at home...

Guest oneshot

last year, i rode 828 miles one way through sun, rain,

fog, and even some sleet to get there and i think i was

about #100 on the list of "who rode the farthest"...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages

here's a link to the info for the ride. the mtf has a great many long distance riders that do all the iron butt runs and even 10k runs too. have meet many of them at the lunch meets, and they are avid bike riders and they do have a great time doing it. went to the stagecoach run in stockton, al last yr and there was a old golgwing that had over 285,000 miles on it and he had done like 5- 10k and several ss and ib ride on it. i'm hoping to put a lunch meet together here in birmingham, al if i have time this year.

Guest BluesLover
moonshine, i am marking this one on my calender. /quote]Hey Scott - so, are you going? I've booked the time off of work and I'll be heading out with a couple of other riders from the London area.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BluesLover

Here's a piece from CBS Sunday Morning on the Moonshine Store and their famous burgers:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkBilF6GU8]YouTube - Bill Geist-World's Best Burger (CBS Sunday Morning)[/ame]

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BluesLover

Just got back from a 2,000 km round trip to Moonshine.

Cold and wet on the way down Thursday, colder and even more wet on the way back today and yesterday was sunny and very, very windy.

But quite an experience all the same. And talk about food - elephant ears on Friday for lunch, enormous buffet on Friday for dinner and then today the infamous burger for ... well ... it was breakfast for us, 'cause we wanted to get back home before the snow flew again!!!

Pictures (L-R):

1 - an elephant ear sandwich (without the bun)

2 - the London contingent (Cliff, George, Derek and yours truly)

3 - just a portion of the bikes attending - saw the range from scooters to trikes and everything in between

4 - an 08 RSV that was there

5 - Bad Bob's RSV (one of the originals of the Moonshine Lunch Run)

6 - one of the collection of Buick's that we were lucky enough to go see

7 - Friday's buffet dinner was here

8 - the London contingent at the store at around 8:30 this morning

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover

Here's a report on the trip to Moonshine (it is a bit lengthy, so if you're not into reading the story and just like to go directly to the pictures, you may just want to go directly to the links):

Derek and I left St Thomas just before 7 am on Thursday and met up with Cliff at the Ultramar on #4 and the 401. The temperature was just around the freezing mark when we left. We then made our way to Sarnia, where we hooked up with George. It was clear sailing crossing the border. The guard just shook his head when I told him that the reason we were going to Illinois was to have a hamburger...

Along the route, there wasn't too much excitement - other than the rain cover on my trunk bag started flapping around (some dough head forgot to tie it down when he left home). Standing on the side of the interstate having transports flying by you at 70 mph can be quite an experience!

We stopped for "lunch" around Battle Creek, MI. That was when the rain started to come. I was very glad that I'd packed a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield, as had the rest of the gang. As we moved south, the temperatures were getting better, but the rain was on and off for most of the ride.

We got to Indianapolis around 4 pm (aka rush hour) and the rain really started to come down. And to top it off, we could see lightning just ahead of us. We kept on trucking and made it to around Terre Haute, IN when the sun came out (for about 5 minutes). That dried the windshields and that posed some "visibility issues" for those of us who have their bikes set up to look through the windshield.

When we got to Casey (after the guy in the lead blew right by the hotel and wound up turning around at the funeral home with the clearly marked "NO TURN AROUNDS ALLOWED" sign), it was around 6 pm Eastern time and the skies were about to open up again.

Derek was actually staying in Greenup, so he had to head there (about 9 miles away) to get himself registered.

The organizers had set up a nice welcoming “dinner” at the hotel, and THAT was a great idea, since the rain was just coming down in buckets (normally it is set up at the organizer’s home).

I was sitting in my room watching TV at about 9:30 Central, and the show is interrupted by a sever weather watch telling everyone in a number of counties to “take cover in a solid building” … well, it was a darned good thing that I had no idea what county we were in ‘cause otherwise I would have gone looking for a non-existent basement at the hotel. Sure enough, the county we were in WAS on the list. But, nothing of note happened, which is all good!

Friday morning was a bit cooler but it was so nice to see the sun. After “kicking tires” around the hotel, we were lead out to the Cole County Airport through some back roads (I did not realize that there were so many oil fields in Illinois) where you could smell the oil quite clearly. The restaurant at the Cole County Airport is famous for their pork tenderloin sandwiches know as the Elephant Ear Sandwiches. After having the “special” – the London Crew all chose to have their without the bun – we were stuffed to the gills.

Friday was an extremely windy day, and it was funny to watch the procession of bikes going up the road all tilted at an angle in order to keep them on the road. To give you an appreciation of the wind, here is a short video clip that shows the sign at the BP station behind our hotel swinging in the wind. Apologies for the video being on its side, I’m not computer-literate enough to know how to flip it over. Later on Friday, they actually sent a crane in to tie down the sign.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/ ... Run078.flv

One of the organizers (Tim Yow) was able to arrange for us to see a collection of Buicks that a friend of his in Charleston, IL owns. John welcomed us to his place and gave us a tour and history of the vehicles that he owns.

After that, it was back to the hotel to get ready for the “banquet” and more eating and presentations. I debated whether to eat or not, but when we walked into Richard’s Farm Restaurant and I saw the dessert table, my mind was made up for me.

The buffet was very good, and then we moved on to the presentations. They started counting down with people who had gone over 500 miles round trip to get there. We (the “London Crew”) made it to the Top 25 list, at just over 1,100 miles round trip. The winner was a fellow from Oasis, British Columbia who will have travelled over 4,000 miles to get to Moonshine. He rode his all the way (he showed us pictures of his bike covered in snow as proof – those passes in the Rockies are still covered).

After a good night’s sleep, we got the bikes packed and we headed to Moonshine ahead of the crowd, since the weather report did not look really good for Saturday. We made it to Moonshine at about 8:30 am, and had “breakfast”, i.e. a Moonshine Burger. After getting all the rain gear on, we started out from the Moonshine Store at about 10:20 Eastern.

The lead guy kept trying to get us onto some gravel roads, but after some detouring we were able to get onto I70 and make our way north and east. The first part of the day we were able to avoid most of the serious rain, but once we got into Michigan, there was just no way to avoid it. I went through 3 sets of gloves trying to keep my hands fairly dry, and at one point Derek was pretty close to shivering. We stopped in Port Huron for the last gas-up and after a rather lengthy wait to cross the border, we were on the last leg. While we were waiting to cross, we were getting hit with rain and wet snow! We bid goodbye to George at the Hwy 40 exit, and we lost track of Cliff (he was so in search of that hot shower) just as we were coming through Delaware. Pulled into the driveway at 9:15 Eastern.

Many thanks to Cliff for making me aware of the Moonshine Lunch Run, and for leading us there and back. I’m very happy to have had the opportunity to participate in the event. Thanks also to George – our Tailgunner for the entire ride, and to Derek. Yes, it was cold for part of the time. Yes, it was wet for most of the time. Regardless, it was a BLAST! I think from now on we should be known as “The FreezyRiders”.

Mark your calendars folks – next year’s event will be help one week later (I hear that it will be summer then), on April 18/19 weekend!

Here are some of the pics that I took and those that Cliff took:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/ ... nch%20Run/

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/cliffhick/Moonshine/

Cheers,