IGNORED

Good use of a gun - parenting

XV1100SE

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHR4cMXiyM]Mythbusters - Thermite vs Ice - YouTube[/ame]

Ok I'll bite, but I live in hostile Illinois , shotgun slugs are the norm, so I would go for them.

Personally he could have had a little science lesson if he put the laptop ontop of ice and ignited some thermite. It would have been more fun.

I agree with the father all the way up to shooting the computor. Though I have nothing against firearms, being a firearm owner myself. Nor am I against using firm discipline. I do not feel however that using a gun to discipline a 15 year old is the right way or the more mature way to go about it. I agree with the earlier post that she should have been forced to give it away to someone who could use one, but cannot afford one. I am sure that seeing another childs face light up, as she handed over her cherished laptop, that she would see what it is to appriciate something. Instead I think the father demonstrated his own lack of maturity and self discipline, by destroying the laptop wether by use of a firearm, sledge hammer or driving over it. A firearm is a deadly tool for hunting and defence, not a child rearing tool.

I also fear that this type of use of a firearm would give antigun lobbyists more fuel for their cause. They could well claim this as an example of someone irrationally pullying a gun in a fit of anger. As gun owners we have a responsibility to prove to these people that honest gun owners are responsibile and have a large degree of respect for the weapons we are entitled to own.

There is one reason, and one reason alone that I disagree with you on this, and in a moment I will tell you why. I will say that the father could have done one better to REALLY make a lasting impression on his daughter beyond using a gun on the laptop. I speak from experience.

You see, back when I was growing up, Nintendo was a big name in my life from late Elementary School and all the way through High School. In '88, when I was in 4th grade, I got the NES with The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. From there the library just grew and I wound up with the SNES and the Gameboy. Well, I can't say I was the best student, and when the grades slacked a bit too much my parents would routinely take all the game systems and accompanying literature and lock them away. This didn't really bother me as much as they thought it did since I knew that I was going to be getting it back and when they weren't able to watch me while I was home alone I was able to bypass all their locking systems, get to my games, pull them out, play them for a couple of hours and get my "fix." Well, one day in '93 my dad just got fed up to his boiling point over my grades and told me to "Grab that F***ing Piece of S*** Plastic Crap and throw it down the GD stairs Right now, and if you don't, I'm going to smash it and you are NEVER going to get another one!" Knowing my dad as I did, I did as I was demanded of me. He then took me down into the basement, grabbed the gameboy, put it on the work bench, handed me a sledgehammer and told me: "You are going to smash that thing to pieces and throw them in the trash by your own hands. If you don't, I will take every GD Game System, Cartridge, and Disk you own and burn it in a barrel out back while you watch and you will have none of it again while you live under my roof. If you do, you'll just be out of this one device permanently until you get a job and pay for a replacement yourself. In the mean time, I will be taking your other devices and putting them in a storage locker at work for 3 weeks. But this one...You've lost this one forever now."

I did as I was told, and I have to say, that is the ONLY punishment that my parents ever did that left a lasting impression on me. Getting the belt hurt, but I don't ever remember the exact infraction that caused it. Getting my things taken away never did anything to hurt me, because I still had my own mind to entertain me, as well as comfort in the knowledge that I was getting it back at some point. No, being forced to destroy something that I prized above all else at that time, that was what left an impression that I've never forgotten to this day, and I don't think I ever will.

In my opinion, this is more along the lines of what the father in this case should have done. Instead of letting his rage take over and blowing the laptop to Tech Heaven on his own, he should have given his daughter a sledge hammer and had her do it. There's something about the shock of destruction that leaves the impression. Just giving the laptop away to a less fortunate doesn't create the same snap against the entitlement mentality that so many kids these days really need. Giving away the laptop still gives a sense of reward to the child that their actions did someone else some good. There's too much of a way for the mind to put a positive spin on what is supposed to be a negative consequence and thus won't necessarily learn the proper lesson from the situation. With the "senseless" destruction it triggers the brain's reflex to try and figure out what the heck just happened here and thus, creates a long lasting impression.

dozens of calls and emails?...

Yup they are out there amongst us... and then they wonder why the worlds going to ^%$# in a handbasket...

My youngest daughter Amber, got into trouble for writing on the walls and was given a light swat across the backside when she was about 6?

Bout a week later she did it again.(don't know where she gets her hardheadedness from)?

This time i took a permanent magic marker and marked up her favorite Barbie doll and ask her how she felt about that. She answered "not very good" and I said, "well I didn't feel very good about the walls being written on either". She never marked on the walls again.

A couple of weeks went by and showed her how much work it is to use acetone to remove 99% of permanent marker...

guess my point is I don't believe you must make a child destroy something by their own hands... as long as they know for a fact certain... that "their own actions" caused it to be destroyed

and yep, I'm thinking /agreeing that dad was trying to make sure that no part of the laptop was salvageable... although thermomite would be a little overkill... LOL