IGNORED

lawn mower go karts

muaymendez1

I have a ride on lawn mower in the backyard that I have been thinking of making into a go kart. I don't know the first thing about go karts but I would like to turn this into a father son project.

I would like to start a photo album of the build. keeping track of what I spend and materials I use.

I need help does anyone have any ideas.?

since it is a mowee its it's pretty high I would like to lower the seating position but then will have to change the steering amgle.I will attach a photo when I get home . any ideas or links to website will be helpful

you will be spending a lot of money, more than you would to buy a go kart kit and build it with your son. There is so much on the lawn mower you won't use, if you want it to be like a go kart.

The transmission usless unless you want to go slow.

Frame is to heavy and bulky, changing the engine to the rear is major work.

I turned a riding lawn mower into a dragster then to a racer for a while, wasn't as much fun so I gave it to a couple of neighbor kids a few years back.

A friend of mine races go karts competivily and have ride a couple of his. Have to say nothing like doing 50, 60 mph 3 inches off the ground on dirt and sliding around the track. Really made me want one untill I realised it would cut a lot into my MC riding time. So I bought a 67 VW Bug and plan to build a Baja so I can still drive it on the street.

Best thing about your project is the time you will spend with your son, inspiring him to

build with his hands.

I would second NOT converting the mower! A real kart kit won't be that expensive and you might be able to re-use the lawn mower engine. On the other hand, if the mower is still useable, you may be able to sell it for most of what a kart kit would cost.

Google Go Karts (spell it cart also just to see what comes up) and start asking questions. There has to be several on-line forums/sites for Karts, and some for beginners. Make sure you have a safe place to run the kart. If you have a local track, time isn't that expensive and it is a lot safer, and I think more fun.

I remember the heady days of Karts in the late 50's early 60's. One guy had a home built with three engines. I think he got killed doing near 100 mph on public highway one day. DON"T do that!:shock3:

thanks for the feedback guys. I realize I posted very little info on the mower and my plans for that matter.

the mower is a rear engine type and has most of the mower parts taking off already. it is a 1972 fairway and parts are almost non existent. I picked it off free from freecycle and able to make it run but that's about it. even if it were working I doubt I would get 40 bucks for it.

I don't plan on doing any racing and was just looking for a project my son and myself. he is 8 years old my other son is 5 and I am okay with them chugging along at 5 miles per hour this will be our first project, who knows maybe later will get into the big boys.

thanks for the feedback guys. I realize I posted very little info on the mower and my plans for that matter.

the mower is a rear engine type and has most of the mower parts taking off already. it is a 1972 fairway and parts are almost non existent. I picked it off free from freecycle and able to make it run but that's about it. even if it were working I doubt I would get 40 bucks for it.

I don't plan on doing any racing and was just looking for a project my son and myself. he is 8 years old my other son is 5 and I am okay with them chugging along at 5 miles per hour this will be our first project, who knows maybe later will get into the big boys.

Sounds like a very good plan to me. Keep us in the loop here as the project moves along. We'll either offer insight as needed or moral support as you progress on this great father/son experince.

:080402gudl_prv:

Larry