IGNORED

Winter project questions

darthandy

Well, with the electrical work done on the RSV and the weather turning nasty, it's time to start doing some new work on the bike. With that, I have some questions.

I want to replace the stock windshield with one that is 3 inches lower since I can't easily look over the top of the stock windshield in the rain. I've looked up the threads on the subject but one question to which I found no answer was this: do the wider windshields (Usually 4 to 5 inches wider overall) give better hand protection (I'm more concerned with the cold than the rain, but better rain protection would be nice)? I know from the threads that a number of members have gone to the wider windshields so I'm hoping someone can pass on their experience. Also on this subject, my 5 ft. 2 in. wife (I'm 5ft. 10 in.) says that she gets some buffeting at face level at highway speeds. Does anyone have any experience as to what effect a move to a lower and wider windshield would have on this. I can't really tell if the air she gets hit with is coming from over the top of the windshield or from around the sides. I'm guessing that a move to a lower and wider windshield would have little effect on gas mileage since the surface area would stay roughly the same. Some windshields, however, seem to sweep back at a greater angle than the stock one, so it's possible mileage would be improved. Anyone have any experience with that?

And also, does anyone have experience with handle bar heaters? The price is better than for heated grips, but I wonder if they do as good a job.

Well that should do it for now....at least until I see if I can figure out how to get my grips off the bike. Chrome insert in the end and a collar at the other end and both spin? Who thinks this stuff up anyway?

Andy

Motorcycle windshields are funny beasts, whether on an RSV or a 1st Gen.

The dynamic of the wind buffeting is not a simple formula. Sure there is a point where all buffeting can be removed ... they are called "cars" ...

Simply widening or narrowing, raising or lowering the screen won't accurately predict the amount of buffeting in a particular spot behind it. Only a wind tunnel would do that.

You don't want a taller screen because you can't see over it, and you can't really predict how much of the buffeting is coming over the screen, all you can really do is ask around (this thread) and experiment.

Widening the screen might reduce the effect, and it might also increase it. It can also lead to the bike becoming unstable at higher speeds.

It is possible to get side and top wind deflectors and they can help, especially if they are adjustable. Baker Wings can help too.

Another major factor is how a crash helmet deals with the wind. A good one will be a more peaceful place even in moderate to high turbulence. A poor one will be noisy and awful even in relatively calm air.

Just food for thought ... others will tell you what worked for them.

Andy

I'm your same height and on my '86 I have installed the wider/taller Clearview shield with a vent. I can't say much about a lower windshield, other than I would suspect that you wife will experience more head buffeting. Even with the taller windshield, I can sit up enough to see over the top in the rain. Not that comfortable, but I can.

The wider windshield definately helps reduce the wind and cold on the hands. I can feel a difference as to whether my hands are closer to the end of the grips or closer to the control end.

The vent makes a huge difference. Just opening it a little (when it's cold) gets rid of the air vortex that usually develops behind the windshield and pulls air down towards the pillion. Opening full is nice in the hot weather too.

Dave

I have a Clearview that's 3" under stock. My wife gets more buffeting, but not to the point of complaint. I'm happy with the height and she doesn't seem unhappy about it. Of course, as with everything, YMMV. If it's the height you need, I say go for it.

Mileage? No clue. The Clearview is swept more but has a bit of a recurve at the top. I didn't worry about the mileage. I wanted to balance seeing over with hiding behind.