IGNORED

Push to talk intercom NEED HELP...

DANGEROUSDANA

I need some help with my latest project. I have purchased two new Nolan N-com helmets, and installed the J&M 279 speaker/mic setup.

I have never used a setup like this, but I expected to be able to listen to the stereo, and then, when I wanted to talk to the passenger, (or the passenger wanted to talk to me) push the push to talk button (which I thought would cut the stereo) and talk on the Intercom.

However, when everything is plugged in and turned on, the stereo plays fine, but the intercom is also on all the time. The stereo does not "mute" (maybe it isn't supposed to?). Pushing either push to talk button has no effect. We can both talk over the music and hear each other. But, since the intercom is on all the time, the mic also picks up motor and wind noise and transmits it through the intercom, making the intercom useless while driving.

HYPOTHESIS: I am guessing that one of the push to talk buttons is shorted out, or one of the intercom button wires is shorted somewhere. I'm also guessing that the intercom buttons close the circuit that should be open except when the button is pushed??? If the circuit is close all the time and the button opens the circuit, then something could just be unplugged.

Please tell me how the intercom is supposed to work. Is it supposed to cut the stereo when the push to talk button is pushed, or is it supposed to work in the background of the music. Do you think there is a short somewhere, and if so, is there a common place that this would occur; where should I start looking?

Thanks, in advance. dana

Your system is working normally. The push to talk switches, rider and passenger, are for the CB. There is a device available called 'mike mutes', which will mute the mics for you and probably accomplish what you are looking for. You can find out more about them here. clicky

:happy34: