IGNORED

help! left side case torque specs??

The online 83-85 manual that is most commonly used has 10 pages in it that are corrupted.

With Snaggletooths help I have created a complete copy of the manual, just don't have a good place to put it online. It is rather large at 68 megs.

Gary

ya. mine electronic manual has 3-52 missing also. sounds like a conspiracy to me! thanks for the help. now i have another question, actually 2. do i need the brown wire coming off the voltage regualtor?? the replacement part doesnt have it. also, what is this?? i took a picture. its a cylinder shaped object attached to the frame. its wiring is spliced into the stator/rectifier harness. cant find it on schems.

That is the smoothing condensor. If you are looking at schematics I did, the 86 & up schematics show it just above the stator connector on the full wiring diagrams. On the simplified schematic, it is on the left side just above the starter solenoid. Just tagged as a condensor.

Did you replace the harness on the bike?

The MKII bikes did not use the brown wire to the voltage regulator. Your 83 harness will have the brown wire at the regulator plug, but the newer (I'm guessing) regulator you are putting on does not have the brown wire. It will work OK. The brown wire is just a switched duplicate of the red wires that was eliminated.

Gary

Edited by dingy

i didnt replace the harness. its melted at one of the positive wires. im replacing the stator and r/r. so im just going to remove the harness and solder it all together. sound ok to you?? anything i should worry about??

That's recommended way of doing it in general. I didn't do it to mine because I am always tinkering with it and I wanted the connector in there. I have direct replacement connectors in the classifieds for this.

I didn't think the 83's had this smoothing condensor in the wiring harness, maybe the Royales did. Mine wasn't a Royale, but all wiring has been changed over to an 88 style, so I can't verify this.

Gary