I've never heard of a factory-recommended 8k oil change interval on any motorcycle. Never heard of it on a car, either.

Older bikes tended towards the 3k interval, and that has gradually risen over the years to 4k. But 8k? Never heard of it, 'til now.

The interval on my 07 F150 is 5k. Interval on my 07 Venture is 4k. I rarely even go that far. Being that I'm old and have habits that are hard to break, I still tend towards the 3k interval on both vehicles, even though I use Mobil 1 in both. This is because of locale and driving styles. We live in the desert, which is dusty most of the time, far dustier than many other locales. Many vehicles have two maint schedules; one for "normal" driving, which the schedule will define, and one for "extreme" conditions. Short trips, extreme temps cold or hot, lots of rain, dust, city stop-and-go, etc, will combine to create an "extreme" set of driving conditions that demand a closer oil change interval, regardless of the quality of oil being used.

A straight interval of x miles between changes without taking into consideration driving conditions, is not so good.

Hi.

I have found the following oil change frequencies from manuals on the site and my own 1999 US spec. manual that came with the bike.

1999 US Spec. Every 4,000 miles or six months.

1999 European Spec. 6,000 kilometers 3,728 miles or six months. Suppose that is same as above.

2000 US Spec. 10,000 kilometers or 6,200 miles or annual.

2002 US Spec. 8,000 miles or annual.

Most if not all new Yamahas in the UK are now 6,000 miles or annual services and oil changes.

I change mine annually at about 6,000 miles with YamLube or whatever Yamaha calls it:backinmyday:.

Best wishes.

Neil. (Old Miner).

• 1 month later...