IGNORED

Wiring a Voyager to the RSV

Greetings all.

I have acquired and fitted a Voyager outrider to my 2004 RSV.

It is fully wired but now I need to hook it up to the bike.

Has a flat 7-pin plug ready to go into a 7-pin socket, the latter needing to be wired to the bike.

I had a look at this post by Don http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=503 but it didn't really help me. I've trawled through the site looking for an answer prior to coming up here with my query.

Don (and others) is it best to just tap in to the plethora of bullet connectors in the tail light support housing, of would you suggest that I run all the way back to the battery and associated connectors? I'm figuring that given the fact that I need tail light, brake light and both indicators - it's going to make sense to tap into the area of the tail light, where all those things are found.

Sorry for being a nuisance, but I'm ready to do the job and just want to be sure.

I have the socket, miles of three-strand, five-strand and seven-strand cable - as well as a bucket load of connectors of all shapes and sizes.

Love to hear your collective thoughts and/or advice.

Cheers.

Spear

Steve,

I'm not sure of which components are included in your 7 pin harness. For the lights, at a minimum I would see a wire for:

1. Running Lights

2. Brake Lights

3. Left Turn Signal

4. Right Turn Signal

5. Ground

But you really need to isolate these extra lights just like you would for a trailer to protect the bikes current wiring. If you look at the link from The Electrical Connection in Don's instructions, you will see:

The isolator Part Number 07660 and

the sub-harness for the Venture Part Number 07668.

The isolator is nothing more than a relay(s) that trigger and provide current to a given circuit. The sub-harness plugs right into the white block connector behind the battery with the blue, yellow, green, brown and black wires. You just need to provide fused power from battery to the isolator, a ground and then it's just a matter of plugging the sub-harness and connecting the wires the your Voyager, and I'm not sure what the extra 2 wires are for in your wiring harness. This is about the cleanest set up I have ever used, but it not as cheap as a trailer convertor....which isolates but also takes 5 wires down to 4 when you have trailer lights that double as brake and turn signals.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Greetings all.

I have acquired and fitted a Voyager outrider to my 2004 RSV.

It is fully wired but now I need to hook it up to the bike.

Has a flat 7-pin plug ready to go into a 7-pin socket, the latter needing to be wired to the bike.

I had a look at this post by Don http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=503 but it didn't really help me. I've trawled through the site looking for an answer prior to coming up here with my query.

Don (and others) is it best to just tap in to the plethora of bullet connectors in the tail light support housing, of would you suggest that I run all the way back to the battery and associated connectors? I'm figuring that given the fact that I need tail light, brake light and both indicators - it's going to make sense to tap into the area of the tail light, where all those things are found.

Sorry for being a nuisance, but I'm ready to do the job and just want to be sure.

I have the socket, miles of three-strand, five-strand and seven-strand cable - as well as a bucket load of connectors of all shapes and sizes.

Love to hear your collective thoughts and/or advice.

Cheers.

Spear