IGNORED

Change the front tire

DANGEROUSDANA

I just changed the front tire on my 2000 RSV. It was not completely worn out, but it had a slight cupping if you looked closely. When in a steady state low speed turn, I got a little shake/wobble at the handlebars.

I researched tire options on this site and decided to go with the MT90B16 "not recommended by Yamaha" option.

I purchased the Dunlop Elite 3 in that size.

Wow, freakin' wow. Shake is gone (cured by new tire, not necessarily the new size). But the improvement in feel is unfreakin' believable.

I currently have a relatively new Dunlop 404 (less than 2K) in the stock size on the rear of the bike. I will put the matching Elite 3 on when it wears out.

I know this is nothing new to the guys that have been on this site for a long time. But, if anyone is sitting on the fence about changing to a "not recommended" tire...I'm here to tell you.....JUMP! :cool10:

Not guilty! Just purchased this bike. The new tire makes the bike feel 100 pounds lighter when driving; whether low or high speed. I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years and I have never changed a tire and felt such a difference. Admittedly, I have never actually changed sizes of tires, but you would think it should be hard to improve on factory specs.

There could also be an issue of the left and right front shocks not having equal air pressure which could make the tire scuff a little more on one side than the other when going over bumps. There is an equalizer kit out there for the front shocks. That is one thing where the 2nd gens are not as good as the 1st gen's as theirs are equalized. Cheaper, better, faster...

There is an equalizer kit out there for the front shocks.

Oh? Who sells it? I checked and the only kit I could find went off the market some years ago. I would really like to have one, as trying to develop my own has been beyond my admittedly meagre abilities.

Andy

Oh? Who sells it? I checked and the only kit I could find went off the market some years ago. I would really like to have one, as trying to develop my own has been beyond my admittedly meagre abilities.

Andy

I have also been unable to find an air balance kit.

I ordered fittings to hopefully connect the shocks and 1/8" plastic tubing that I ran to the trunk where I will have a progressive pump. The problem is finding a fitting to replace the schrader valve on top of the shock that will accept the 1/8" tubing.

The fittings have been shipped and if my plan works I will post pictures with a list of adaptors and etc.

I love the RSV when the shocks are equal with pressure.....But it handles like a "GUM WHEELED WAGON" when they are not!