IGNORED

Dead Fuel Pump

well not dead, just intermittent. I'd noticed the motor getting a little balky on cold starts. Then it would not run at all unless I rapped on the pump body with a tool, and the plastic end of the pump was getting piping hot. I bypassed the pump and approached the dealer shop guy about the warranty. He said I'd have to bring the bike in and leave it. I rarely do anything like that!

Then I remembered seeing an article here about the Mr. Gasket 42S. Thanks to all who contributed to that information. I got the 42S installed pretty easily, and as far as I can tell it pumps fine. I notice it passes fuel even when it is unplugged. That means I'll have to get used to using the petcock.

Thanks again to all who took the time to post info and photos. What a treasure this board is!

Glad you got it changed out. I think what mama yamaha wants for a replacement pump is rediculous. One question though, what do you mean by still passing fuel? If the carbs are leaking from the overflow pipes, then, most likely you've got a stuck float in one or more of the carbs.

Well, this isn't a definitive test, but after a 30 mile test ride I unplugged the electric to the pump and cranked the motor. It ran perfectly for much longer than it would've taken for the fuel in the lines and bowls to be cleared out. That tells me the pump will flow fuel even when turned off or dead, probably as long as the tank is full enough to have enough push to get it past the filter and pump. I suppose the definitive test would be to unplug the pump, remove the outflow line and see how fuel flows with the petcock open, full tank of course.

If this is true, then about all the pump really is doing is letting you get the last couple of gallons out of the tank, and maybe insure a consistent pressure in the line to the carbs no matter what the tank level is.

The Yam pump is probably superior in this regard. But the price of that thing!

Plus, I like the idea of having a pump that can be replaced easily out on the road, that I can find in a local auto parts store. Can't do that with the Yam pump, at any price.

Now I understand what you meant. As far as the engine running without the pump, she'll do it just fine as long as you keep the tank above 1/4 full. Glad you got it fixed. Now don't you just feel spiffy?

You bet! And all thanks go to Venturerider.org and the great people here who are so helpful.

Patrick

What year is your bike? How many miles when pump failed?

THX

It's an 07 with just under 27k miles on the clock.

This is really the first out and out failure I've had with this bike. This would've been the first warranty claim, but I didn't bother Yam with it.

well not dead, just intermittent. I'd noticed the motor getting a little balky on cold starts. Then it would not run at all unless I rapped on the pump body with a tool, and the plastic end of the pump was getting piping hot. I bypassed the pump and approached the dealer shop guy about the warranty. He said I'd have to bring the bike in and leave it. I rarely do anything like that!

Then I remembered seeing an article here about the Mr. Gasket 42S. Thanks to all who contributed to that information. I got the 42S installed pretty easily, and as far as I can tell it pumps fine. I notice it passes fuel even when it is unplugged. That means I'll have to get used to using the petcock.

Thanks again to all who took the time to post info and photos. What a treasure this board is!

I am confused as to why you did not use the warranty that is clearly on your bike?? Is the dealer that bad?? if so you should report it. DanC:cool10:

It's not as easy to find but a Facet 40171 doesn't allow fuel to bypass when it's off.

I am confused as to why you did not use the warranty that is clearly on your bike?? Is the dealer that bad?? if so you should report it. DanC:cool10:

Because the pump wasn't completely dead. It was intermittent. It might've gone on that way for weeks or months. The dealer shop might've replaced the pump under warranty, taking my word on it, since these intermittent things never break down when you take them in to the shop. But most likely I'd have had to do a song and dance over several days, that would have left me po'd and the bike running poorly.

This dealer shop is about as good as any, and the people there are helpful. But I've done all my own work. I don't bring the bike in for oil changes, or other maintenance. I don't buy accessories. Months go by without my darkening their door. I don't expect favors. If I had a long established pattern of them doing all the work on this bike, I would feel better about asking the shop manager to just take my word the pump is dying, and let me trade the old one for a new one, and he probably would.

But there is also a practical calculation that makes sense to me: The chinese pump only cost $45 (compared to the Yam pump around $250). The chinese pump will probably last only a few months, maybe a couple of years. But unlike the Yam pump I can get a new $45 pump in any town in the USA off the shelf. I've already re-plumbed for the new pump, so a replacement in a faraway city isn't much of a problem, while the Yam pump could leave me sitting in a motel for a week or more.