Took the bike to dealer today. The part on the inside of the fairing where al the connection are is bad. I ask how much to replace it. $1400 and some change. The good news is they only charged me $15 to do the test to find out what was wrong.. I guess I will get on ebay and see if I can find ome. Thanks for all the info thagt was brought my way

It sounds like you are talking about the Clarion radio. If so, check Pinwall, they have a lot of them at $289.00 to $299.00. Here is a link if it works correctly.

http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Yamaha-Venture-Royal-Star-/_i.html?_nkw=Radio&submit=Search&_fsub=5820835&_sid=12458664

Yeap you are right Don. Do you know anything about this place? Another question have you or anyone you know had radio to go bad? Thanks Don for the info

Edited by Preacher Dude

Yes, I have dealt with them many times and have always been pleased. That is not to say that there haven't been a few negative reports here also. I am sure though that they will treat you right.

Yes, I have heard a couple reports here about the radio going bad. I know that Yamaha has replaced a few of them. I still can't quiet get my mind around your issue though. If you get sound from the headset but not from the speakers, it just doesn't sound like the radio to me. I honestly don't know the circuitry though so I am probably wrong. If the switching is done internally in the radio, then yes, that would be possible.

I tell you what though. I actually have a spare controller, the black unit that is mounted on the handlebars. I don't want to sell it but if you want to borrow it to make sure it's not the issue, I could send it to you. You wouldn't have to remove yours. Just open the fairing, plug mine in, see if it corrects your problem.

If you want to try it, just PM me your address and I'll get it out tomorrow morning. I'll even pay shipping to you if you pay shipping to return it.

Thanks Don. I thought that was what it was. I got my hands on a brand new control box. plugged it in. I got the same thing; headset but no speaker sound. I thought that was what the dealer said it was. I called back and talk to the tech. He said that it was the part under the fairing. Once again thanks for the offer.

I will finally get to listen to some tunes again monday. Thanks to Don ( Freebird ). I got a used radio from Pinwall Cycles for $263 off a 2007 RSV. Sure will be nice to get the bike back together and ride again. Thanks again Don for telling me about this place. I will be getting some other stuff from them over the winter.

:cool10:

I will finally get to listen to some tunes again monday. Thanks to Don ( Freebird ). I got a used radio from Pinwall Cycles for $263 off a 2007 RSV. Sure will be nice to get the bike back together and ride again. Thanks again Don for telling me about this place. I will be getting some other stuff from them over the winter.

I am interested to know what was the final out come concerning your speakers not working. Did the new radio fix the problem? You will see in my write ups that it very difficult to find any service techs that really understand the radio and its function. Most have a hard time just operating the systems alone fixing it. Usually they just send parts back to the factory to be check and/or replaced. Would like to know if the replacement radio fixed the problem?? Thanks, DanC :cool10:

:cool10:

I am interested to know what was the final out come concerning your speakers not working. Did the new radio fix the problem? You will see in my write ups that it very difficult to find any service techs that really understand the radio and its function. Most have a hard time just operating the systems alone fixing it. Usually they just send parts back to the factory to be check and/or replaced. Would like to know if the replacement radio fixed the problem?? Thanks, DanC :cool10:

Got the radio from Pinwall Cycle/. Still doing the samething. Sounds through the head set none through the speakers. I called the dealer back and they say it is a bad amp. Pinwall wants to say it has a broken wire somewhere on the bike. They say when it left thier place it worked. I have a complaint filed with ebay. I ask Pinwall to send another unit and they refuse. Want buy anything else from them. To me this is bad customer service.

Edited by Preacher Dude

Two radios with the exact same problem. Possible but unlikely. Under the fairing near the round audio plugs is a white rectangular 18 wire connector plug. This contains the wires for all the speakers and the passengers remote. (see your wiring diagram) Bite the bullet and test all 18 wires. Don't overlook the plug itself. If they test ok go to the riders remote control connector. It is a round plug 13 pin with a blue marker. With the key on accessory and the radio set to speakers and the volume up very thoroughly wiggle and push the wires in this connector. They have been plagued with problems. If the speakers come on or squawk you have found it. If not you will need to substitute a known good riders control and see what happens.

Mike

Two radios with the exact same problem. Possible but unlikely. Under the fairing near the round audio plugs is a white rectangular 18 wire connector plug. This contains the wires for all the speakers and the passengers remote. (see your wiring diagram) Bite the bullet and test all 18 wires. Don't overlook the plug itself. If they test ok go to the riders remote control connector. It is a round plug 13 pin with a blue marker. With the key on accessory and the radio set to speakers and the volume up very thoroughly wiggle and push the wires in this connector. They have been plagued with problems. If the speakers come on or squawk you have found it. If not you will need to substitute a known good riders control and see what happens.

Mike

Ok how do I test the wires. I have never done this before. I dont believe it is the driver remote because i got a new one from the dealer to try and it still did the same thing,

I just took the blue wire apart no noise nothing. When I took the white plug apart and put it back together I here like a pop in the rear speakers thjat is all. I am willing to check those wires if you can tell me how.

Edited by Preacher Dude

Testing wires.

If you have never done this before switch your meter to ohms. If you can set the scale set it to the one ohm or x1 scale. Touch the two leads together and observe the reading. This is what you hope to get with a good wire. To practice take a short length of wire and touch one meter lead to each end of the wire. Compare your reading to the previous one. They should be very close. Learn this reading it shows a good wire.

To test the bike unplug the 18 pin white connector to the audio system. Picture this as 18 individual wires. One end of each wire is at the plug. The other end is connected to some object on the bike. Each wire is a different color. Pick a wire, check the color and location in the plug. Use the wiring diagram to see what object the other end is connected to. You do not have to disconnect the other end. Put one of your meter leads on the wire at the plug and the other meter lead on the wire at the object. You should get a reading very close to your practice reading. Repeat this for each wire except for the two battery power which are Red-Green and Black-White. To test them remove the audio and back up fuses. You can now test from the plug to the fuse pin just as you did the other wires. R/G goes to the backup fuse and B/W goes to the audio fuse.

If this doesn't get it you will need to look for a short or pinched harness which I can explain to you later.

The pin locations are in the service manual. In the back of the manual are wiring diagrams. Under item 80 MCU is a small picture of the connector showing the wire locations in the connector. The pictures of the wires themselves are random around the dotted line around the MCU. From there it is easy to see what they go to.

...Also fyi this diagram does not show any of the round audio connectors. So it does not show the wiring for the CB, CD, Riders remote, Riders headset, Passengers headset, or Cassette player. Clarion considers this wiring internal to the MCU / audio system. Go figure.

Hope this helps

Mike

Testing wires.

If you have never done this before switch your meter to ohms. If you can set the scale set it to the one ohm or x1 scale. Touch the two leads together and observe the reading. This is what you hope to get with a good wire. To practice take a short length of wire and touch one meter lead to each end of the wire. Compare your reading to the previous one. They should be very close. Learn this reading it shows a good wire.

To test the bike unplug the 18 pin white connector to the audio system. Picture this as 18 individual wires. One end of each wire is at the plug. The other end is connected to some object on the bike. Each wire is a different color. Pick a wire, check the color and location in the plug. Use the wiring diagram to see what object the other end is connected to. You do not have to disconnect the other end. Put one of your meter leads on the wire at the plug and the other meter lead on the wire at the object. You should get a reading very close to your practice reading. Repeat this for each wire except for the two battery power which are Red-Green and Black-White. To test them remove the audio and back up fuses. You can now test from the plug to the fuse pin just as you did the other wires. R/G goes to the backup fuse and B/W goes to the audio fuse.

If this doesn't get it you will need to look for a short or pinched harness which I can explain to you later.

The pin locations are in the service manual. In the back of the manual are wiring diagrams. Under item 80 MCU is a small picture of the connector showing the wire locations in the connector. The pictures of the wires themselves are random around the dotted line around the MCU. From there it is easy to see what they go to.

...Also fyi this diagram does not show any of the round audio connectors. So it does not show the wiring for the CB, CD, Riders remote, Riders headset, Passengers headset, or Cassette player. Clarion considers this wiring internal to the MCU / audio system. Go figure.

Hope this helps

Mike

Ok thanks i will have to wait until my buddy gets the time and we wioll riun these wires down