IGNORED

Need Advice

naturbar

I ride an '07 RSTD - i was cleaning the bike today - had seat and both side covers off - i was using a mild cleaning solution in a spray bottle, chased with another spray bottle of clean water - i spritzed both side, cleaned and blew excess water away - i also sprayed behind the rear jugs and blew water away....well you may have guessed that when i went to start it, the bike is running one two cylinders - the right rear pipes are definitely hot and the front two pipes are cold. i followed the plugs wires on rear jugs to the coils, which is where i sprayed a fair amount of cleaner and water but those cylinders are firing. i can't locate the coils for the front cylinders (even looked in service manual).

i have not done any real troubleshooting yet but hoped someone may have experienced the same issue and might save me needless time - any suggestions are appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how anything you could have done with a spray bottle would have had any impact whatsoever on the way the engine runs. Did you make sure your gas was turned on? Motorcycles are specifically designed to tolerate just about any type of water or wind-driven spray anywhere it might get. In addition, I routinely use the spray nozzle on my hose to completely flush around the engine and up under the tank, and I have never had one hint of problem from that, which is undoubtedly 1,000 times more water than you could have gotten from a spray bottle.

Water can cause old plug wires to arc, causing a misfire, but almost impossible for an 07 to have broken-down insulation on those wires yet. Make sure the plug caps are firmly on the plugs (this is a fairly common problem from careless maintenance when changing the plugs).

For reference, the front coils are up under the tank - you can see the right one easily with the tank off (is is mounted on the right side of the backbone), but the left one is pretty much hidden, even though it is mounted just to the left and a bit lower.

V7GOOSE,

i was reading another post from several month back and you suggested to the person having the problem that is could easily be the fuel pump or fuel filter......well after reading that i went out and started the bike (running on rear two cylinders) as soon as it started i started tapping on the fuel filter and viola the bike now runs fine..... i wonder how i could convince the dealership that the pump is intermittent?

Goose you always seems to jump right in there with suggestions or ideas...my hat is off to you for your willingness to always help ...THANKS.

Buz

Glad you got it going. You will have to keep an eye on that pump if the dealer will not change it on your word (he might, it you take it in and the pump is real hot).

I do not know of too many ways to prove an intermittent pump - probably the best is to take the output hose off and run a hose to a big jar or can, then use a 12v jumper wire to start and stop the pump many times, looking for a time when it does not start until you tap on it (which would prove it is bad). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I would think it a little odd that that pump could pump fuel to two carbs, but not the other two.

I have had plenty of trouble with water killing the engine in the past, both after washing, and during heavy rain. After the third time dead on the side of the road, waiting for 20 minutes or so for it to work again, I finally went in and fixed it.

There are a lot of engine related connections under the battery area. This is where I could cause the bike to die when drowning it with a garden hose.

I took the battery and ignition module out for access, and cleaned and greased and then silicone ignition sealer sprayed them all down. I haven't had any trouble with them since.

Best of luck, whatever it turns out to be, Scooter Bob

I would think it a little odd that that pump could pump fuel to two carbs, but not the other two.

I have had plenty of trouble with water killing the engine in the past, both after washing, and during heavy rain. After the third time dead on the side of the road, waiting for 20 minutes or so for it to work again, I finally went in and fixed it.

There are a lot of engine related connections under the battery area. This is where I could cause the bike to die when drowning it with a garden hose.

I took the battery and ignition module out for access, and cleaned and greased and then silicone ignition sealer sprayed them all down. I haven't had any trouble with them since.

Best of luck, whatever it turns out to be, Scooter Bob

Scooter,

i can't explain why it ran on two carbs either - but after i tapped the fuel pump it ran perfectly for about 10 seconds then started running on two again and doing nothing else but tapping the pump with a wrench (5/8 box end wrench, you recon i should carry that one with me?) it started to run perfectly again - i am fairly confident that the pump is the issue. Thanks for your post...

Ii guess my thought was, yes you're tapping on the pump, but all those other connectors are just behind it. Could be that hitting the rubber mounted pump and associated lines could be wiggling something behind it.

I've also somehow gotten water in the fuel a couple times somehow when washing. I don't wash much now.

Later, Scooter Bob

Ii guess my thought was, yes you're tapping on the pump, but all those other connectors are just behind it. Could be that hitting the rubber mounted pump and associated lines could be wiggling something behind it.

I've also somehow gotten water in the fuel a couple times somehow when washing. I don't wash much now.

Later, Scooter Bob

Good point Scooter,

the first thing i did was check all those connection to and around fuel pump. the one thing i failed to mention was that prior to tapping on the pump i could not hear it prime the carbs and afterwards i could. this is the first real issue i've had with the bike after putting on 27k miles, so i am not too disappointed. have a happy day ! :cool10: