IGNORED

Question for our friends in Alaska

ediddy

I just got a call from someone in the department of motor vehicles in Alaska. One of my insureds from here in Georgia was there and they were going to revoke his drivers license because he didn't have proof that his auto insurance would extend to a rental car. I got them to agree to let me fax a letter to them stating that his insurance would extend to a rental car. What is up with that?

I lived in Alaska 13 years ago and if you have full coverage , it did extended to rental cars . My mom was up there just a few months ago and she was covered by her insurance as well . Now how long has your insured been in AK ? If after a certain amount of days , they have to switch over to AKDL and ins. . Unless they are a student or military .

Besides , let them get an AKDL and a PO Box . That way it will entitle them to the Permanent Fund Dividend check ! :cool10::cool10:

By the way , there is a high rate of people not having insurance around and the state does keep a close eye on it's drivers . This state does take care of and does watch out for it's Alaskans . I love that State . Still kickin myself in the butt for leaving it .

BEER30

We travel a fair bit and we carry a letter from our insurance agent that they will cover rental cars. It seems that some insurance companies refuse to insure you if you rent a car while traveling. The rental car companies always want to sell you their insurance which is 10 times more expensive.

I just got a call from someone in the department of motor vehicles in Alaska. One of my insureds from here in Georgia was there and they were going to revoke his drivers license because he didn't have proof that his auto insurance would extend to a rental car. I got them to agree to let me fax a letter to them stating that his insurance would extend to a rental car. What is up with that?

Exactly how does Alaska have the ability to revoke a Georgia driver's license in the first place?

I have no idea. As in any other state you should only be dealing with the rental car company when you rent the car and exchange paperwork unless you were pulled over for some infraction and were unable to show proof - then you are looking for trouble (and I doubt you would be in less trouble in another state). In Alaska if you don't have proof of insurance they can impound your car. Hmmm.....