I have had an ongoing problem with my 84 VR. On start-up, it continually smokes black, and then when riding/cruising, keep getting small snaps from the breather box. From what I have seen, it backs up on two cylinders. Anyway, today I took my laser temp gun and checked all outlets to make sure I was getting a good reading. They all showed between 72 and 78 F. Started the bike up, and let it get warm. Just at idle, the two front cylinders were showing 180 - 190 F, and the two back ones were 84 -85 F. Does anyone have any good / bright ideas?

It does kinda look like youre not getting spark on the back. I wonder if its the coils that fire the back. Does it get more even if you leave it run at a higher rpm for a bit? Ive heard some weak coils may not run right at idle...but its all just a guess until an expert happens along...

Brian

#1 cylinder unplugged bogs the bike down and almost stalled, and the #3 bogs it down also, but not as noticable.

Last night, I ran it hard, and checked the temp, all was good. The #3 was reading 392 F (not sure if that is a normal temp). While it was idling, you could see the temp dropping on the gun. Within a Min, the temp had dropped to 130F

#1 cylinder unplugged bogs the bike down and almost stalled, and the #3 bogs it down also, but not as noticable.

Last night, I ran it hard, and checked the temp, all was good. The #3 was reading 392 F (not sure if that is a normal temp). While it was idling, you could see the temp dropping on the gun. Within a Min, the temp had dropped to 130F

Sounds like a couple of plugged idle jets.... Have you adjusted the needles lately??