IGNORED

'89 vr triple tree again help

vicco27

I need a triple tree for a 1989. I requested and purchased a triple tree recently. It turns out it's the wrong one. Triple tree facts: the triple tree I need turns out to have the same lower as the 1200, but the upper (on the backside will have the casting numbers 1NL) will facilitate the second gen need for a vibration dampener system. The important thing here is, lower half of triple tree fits both 1st and 2nd gen. Upper half of triple tree has casting number 1NL and has bigger holes to facilitate the vibration dampener system. So, bottom line is, I need one for the 2nd gen. Look for the "1NL" on the under side of the upper and that will be the right one. It's not very distinct, but the old style is cast with "26H".

First of all, do you have the whole triple tree assembly or just the top? Secondly, if you take the handle bar mount nuts loose and lift the piece off, the first gen holes in the top look to be about 1/2". The 2nd gen has vibration dampeners. Since I haven't actually seen one, I'm assuming the holes must be closer to an inch than a half inch. All I know about the casting code is that looking at the front of the triple tree, taking the top off the post and turning it upside down, on the first gen there is a stamped code at one o'clock in the recess above the left post hole. I don't know if the second gen has an equivalent code marking in that spot. I would think there should be a 1NL cast into the bottom someplace. One of these two ideas should help us figure it out. Thanks, Vic