IGNORED

computer guru's

Condor

I have hundreds of bookmarks, and a lot of them are not visited for a years, but I don't want to toss them.. When I first started 'using', Netscape was my browser of choice, and it had a neat feature in the bookmark area. By clicking on the feature the browser would go thru the intire bookmark area and ping every bookmark and then mark all those websites that no longer responded for whatever reason. You could then go thru the list and delete those items that were marked. It was a great way to keep the bookmark file cleaned out. IE does not have that feature, and the bookmarks are piling up. Anyone know of an IE plugin validation tool that would work? I don't have the time or energy to click on each and every website listed.

Not really the solution you asked for, but...

If you open your Favorites folder in Windows Explorer (not IE) it will show your links as shortcuts. If Explorer is set to allow "active content" your links will show an image set by the URL- Netscape.com would show the Netscape icon, MS will show the MS icon, etc. Bad links will show the generic IE icon, as will the URL's that aren't smart enough to set a unique icon image.

Not really the solution you asked for, but...

If you open your Favorites folder in Windows Explorer (not IE) it will show your links as shortcuts. If Explorer is set to allow "active content" your links will show an image set by the URL- Netscape.com would show the Netscape icon, MS will show the MS icon, etc. Bad links will show the generic IE icon, as will the URL's that aren't smart enough to set a unique icon image.

Thanks for the info Chuck, but I just did that, and although it does show all the unique's, it also shows generics that I know are OK. So in my case it doesn't work. The only time a unique appears is when it's edited into the index page. I haven't really even done it to my own website... and I know it's good. I think I need a plugin that actually pings each site in real time???

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=fix%20broken%20links&tag=srch

Search Download.com- there seems to be a few tools for this. I've used something like this, but it was back in Win95 days, so I don't have it anymore.

I've already been to download.com, but everything available is priced, and lately I've never been happy with what Downlaod has to offer, and end up removing it. I was hoping to find something that wouold support I.E. much like that pic resize plugin that Don listed a while back.

I have hundreds of bookmarks, and a lot of them are not visited for a years, but I don't want to toss them.. When I first started 'using', Netscape was my browser of choice, and it had a neat feature in the bookmark area. By clicking on the feature the browser would go thru the intire bookmark area and ping every bookmark and then mark all those websites that no longer responded for whatever reason. You could then go thru the list and delete those items that were marked. It was a great way to keep the bookmark file cleaned out. IE does not have that feature, and the bookmarks are piling up. Anyone know of an IE plugin validation tool that would work? I don't have the time or energy to click on each and every website listed.

Do you know whether Netscape still has that feature? If so, why not install the current version, import the favorites from IE, let Netscape clean out the dead ones, then import the good ones back into IE.

Or better yet.....Keep using Netscape!! :)

Joe

Do you know whether Netscape still has that feature? If so, why not install the current version, import the favorites from IE, let Netscape clean out the dead ones, then import the good ones back into IE.

Or better yet.....Keep using Netscape!! :)

Joe

I haven't got a clue Joe. I don't even know if Netscape is supported as a stand alone browser any longer. I haven't followed it, but I think a larger search engine bought the rights to it a long time ago, and I think?? that's why I reluctantly switched over to IE.

OK I just did a search and it was picked up by AOL. I'm not a big fan of AOL.....