IGNORED

Lowering the 2nd Generation RSV

Larry M

I was looking to lower the front of my bike, checked in the tech forum and found an older post that Freebird and 2Mike2 had posted back in 06, I would like to make a couple of helpful notes: After you have the fairing off be sure you have a good pad on the tank or you will make a couple of dimples as I did! They both mention this, after you have the Triple Tree removed, the top fork covers off and after loosening the 4 Allen screws take a crescent wrench and turn the upper fork tube at the air valve stem to about 9:00, or you will have to loosen and re-due everything as I did after I got the Triple Tree re-installed! I lowered my forks 1 1/8" and it made the valve stem too close to the handlebars to get a air hose on!

I had put the Leveling Links on a year ago, it did help in the handling but I have a 29" inseam and was getting harder to handle in the parking lots and at some of the stops, I took the links off and re-installed the factory links, I also had Rick Butler do my seat, I'm now down to a 27" seat height, I put 10# of air in the back and 0# in the front, that would depend on your PP.

I took a 250 mile ride yesterday, a lot of up and down and twisty corners, what a difference! The bike seems so much better balanced it's like night and day to me!

Another quick note if you have a light bar be sure and be careful getting that back on, it's very easy to strip the threads, I had to re-tap mine!!

Be sure and have lots of tools and a good memory.

Larry M

The RSV is more complicated to lower than I want to do.

My shop wants 4 hours to do it.

I would like to drop it an inch (rear is already lowered 3/4").

I live in mid SC. Anyone in SC and maybe GA or NC skilled in lowering the RSV front?

Will gladly pay a reasonable labor fee,,,or donate to a cause.

(Sorry, cause cannot be political or religious,,, hehe.)

Let me know,

PM or email me,, mikeginsc@bellsouth.net

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Mike Griswold, Lugoff, SC 803-420-3388

Edited by Mike G in SC

I don't have time this summer to lower my RSV, so i did the next best thing! I had to replace the front tire and instead of using the 150/80, I used the 130/90 and notice a difference in the handling and lowering of the front. I lowered the rear last year. What i did notice is I had to jack the air a little in the rear and the bike looks level now. I work in a bike shop in Winnipeg and had to handle a non-lowered Venture, WOW, I'm glad I lowered mine:cool10: