IGNORED

stereo head unit

My stereo control unit is doing wierd things.

It locks up and the buttons will not work.

I rode most of the day with it in the HS mode, but couldn't swap back to SP mode.

After i shut the bike down and restarted it works again.

Any clues??

Did you also have the CB on? There is a bug in the design that sometimes causes this behavior if you have both the Audio and CB on when you start the bike. If that is what is happening you can tell quckly by trying to adjust the volume of the radio (not the CB) - when you turn the volume knob, if you see a "c" in front of the volume number on the display and the volume of the radio does not actually change (the "c" means it is changing the CB volume even though you do not have the CB selected), that is the design bug. The fix is simply to turn off either the radio or the CB, then turn it back on.

That problem does not happen every time you start the bike, and since both the radio and CB work, you would never even know it was happening unless you actually tried to change one of the settings.

The other common cause of strange problems with the radio control head is bad pin contact in the plug inside the fairing. This is regularly discussed in threads on this site. The solution is to split the fairing and re-seat the round plugs on the right side of the radio (your left as you face the front of the bike). Unplugging and replugging them a couple of times will scrape the pin contacts and clear up the problem, and a light coating of dielectric grease on the contacts will prevent it from coming back. I think the control head plug is the red one, but if you are going to do this, best to do all of them.

Goose