Hi, long time no see!

To make a long story short:

My Venture acts weird, the problem right now as I've pulled the airbox is that I can see butterfly #2 not closing eventhough the idlescrew does not touch it!? If I slack the cable at the trottle the throttle will not pull back by itself. If I force the throttle back, the butterfly closes...If I adjust the cables so that I have "normal" throttle operation I still have slack but no go on #2 butterfly!?

Is there a spring or something among the carbs that is either missing or come loose since I rebuilded the carbs 5 years ago (yeah, I'm afraid it's been sitting still since, only occasionally startups...) ?

regards from Sweden

Abbe

Abbe dont forget about the sinc screw it actually moves the throttle plate that is most likely what is holding the throttle plate open look in the service manual at the throttle cable adjustment procedure to get the cables back where they need to be,

Jeff

Something just hit me and I had to run to the garage and check:

If I turn sync screw C far in, carb #2 closes, if I turn sync screw C far out, carb #2 opens. Something must be wrong with the linkage, screw C is not supposed to be able to change the carbs on the left side, or is it possibe with the screw in extreme settings?

something is amiss. Or maybe the way you are reading the manual OR maybe the throttle cable is freyed somewhere. Carb #2 is non adjustable. ...everyone is to sync to #2 is left front...#1 is left REAR, #3 is mright rear. #4 Right front.

Something just hit me and I had to run to the garage and check:

If I turn sync screw C far in, carb #2 closes, if I turn sync screw C far out, carb #2 opens. Something must be wrong with the linkage, screw C is not supposed to be able to change the carbs on the left side, or is it possible with the screw in extreme settings?

If you have to little tension on the right side screws it can not pull #2 closed fully and there is nothing that will close it in the way of adjusting the left side screw, throttle screw or cables.

I just experienced this same scenario this week, with the carbs on the workbench. When I was bench setting them, same symptoms you are having with no cables hooked up at all.

And I even just went out in garage and duplicated the #2 holding open with too little tension on #3 and/or #4. Had to snap throttles open to see #2 hold open, it wasn't forced open just not enough spring pressure to close it. By running 3 & 4 in a little more #2 pulled closed.

Gary

Ok, then screw C acctually *can* affect carb #2 in a tuning scenario, great thanks! Since the carbs were dismantled I figured I'd do a sync with my newly bought CarbTune, the carbs were ofcourse everywhere and the bike went between 800 and 4000rpms as it wanted by itself, a blipp made it stick on high rpms so I thought I'd better reset everything as I've read here. To my suprise I could not lower the idle anymore, the screw didn't reach the carb!

I'll try to equal the butterflys with a string before I try the CarbTune again...

regards

Synced and purrs like a cat!

I used a small 0.5mm wire to check all butterflies for equality and used syncscrew/idlescrew to see that everyting opened and closed at it should. Syncscrew C acctually upsets throttle linkage when relesed fully and thus opens carb #2, didn't know that! Hocked up CarbTune and fiddled with Idle, A, B and C untill equality. Not a single pop and strong as a bear...thanks for the replys!