IGNORED

Coolant change

Over the Christmas break I will be starting up the wood stove in the garage and changing the coolant in my 2nd gen. Venture. I have not done this service before. I guess I will follow the service manuals guide lines.Is there anything to watch out for or should do or not do? I will also change the plugs which I have done before. I am close to 40,000 miles on the bike.

I did the splines this past summer when I changed the rear tire.

Any in put?

TJ follow this link:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002008&id=273

Go to Tech Library, 2nd. gen, engine for the coolant change directions.

I didn't do the engine cylinders and the water pump as explained in the write up on my 03 when I bought it used and put another 72 K miles on it with no problems. Instead I just drained, refilled put the bike back together went for a 5 mile ride and then repeated the draining and filling part. I expect this way will get 99 % of the old stuff out and it saves a lot of trouble in my humble mind. It's your bike you decide what's best.

Make sure you use a low silicate regular green coolant which is pre mixed 50/50, I used prestone.

I drained mine and pulled all of the plugs to get it all out in one shot. It is pretty simple and the directions are very clear in the repair manual.

I used Prestone antifreeze as well but mixed it 50-50 with distilled water. Distilled water won't corrode the aluminum as bad as tap water.