IGNORED

riding impressions stratoliner s

Snarley Bill

well, i have close to 300 miles on my liner and thought i would share the pros and cons. this bike is one of yamahas best kept secrets. why they don't push and advertise some of there really good models more is a mystery to me. this has to be one of the best v-twin platforms ever for the ultimate touring bike. as archaic that i thought the engine was in this age of high tech engineering. it is one well engineered drive train package. it has the broadest powerband of any bike i have ever rode. stump puller off idle and just keeps on pulling. the transmission is smooth as glass with short throw, and positive engagemant. low speed parking lot handling is the best of any bike i have ever rode. it has an ultra low center of gravity, and perfect steering geometry. the high speed handling is excellent. the frame is rock solid with no flex or wallowing when pushed hard in the twisties. i felt at times i could drag my elbows. well almost, a guy can dream can't he. lol. the fit and finish is impeccable with just the right amount of chrome. it has a near 50-50 weight distribution front to rear. the dealer in indy just called and asked if i was satified. i dug down deep for the cons and here is all i could muster up. the wind shield sucks. too tall, and some buffeting on the high way. i will cut about 2" off and make some lowers to cure that. there is a mild vibration around 65-70 mph that may annoy some , but it is overall very smooth for a v-twin of this size. there is some engine and drive train noise at lower speeds that is greatly amplified by the wind shield. i think most of it is drive belt howl. the belt sounds a bit tight, from my previous experience with belt drives. i will check it. the ergonomics are fairly good. the driver seat so far seems very good. i have long arms and the bars are on the edge of being a bit to far forward to reach. overall i was very impressed with this bike and i just love it. i think with a trunk and the rest of the normal touring luxuries yamaha would have one hot touring bike to meet the competition, till they come out with their detuned v-max powered flagship tourer. i still think that is their plan if the economy ever picks up. by the way this strat s is one georgeous machine. bill :2133:

Another Happy Strat rider. Not all the bells and whistles as Venture, but one very well build bike. Only downside (If I can say down) is rear tire wear. due to to much torque, rear tire doesn't last long. But dark side is always option. Have my car tire installed At FreeBird's maintenance day few years back, and still hold strong. Well Bill see ya at Vogel with Strat.

I had a 2006 Strat for a year. Also had my RSTD at the same time.

As good as the Strat was (power+), I just never found the ride comfortable.

When I came across a deal on a RSV, I sold the Strat.

Oh, took me 10 minutes to sell!!! To my neighbor. He loves it and finds it comfortable.

I didn't loose a bike, I got a neighbor to ride with now and then.

Mike G in SC