IGNORED

Zumo 550 Owners

Got a question. What does the Zumo 550 use as a mount on the backside. The reason I ask is my look-a-like Streetpilot c550 snaps onto a 17mm ball, and I just got off the phone with RAM and they are telling me the Zumo mount bolts on?? And.... they don't have anything that will work with the STPilot. Even though when you go on their website for MC mounts,, and use their search engine, the mount they say to use on the MC says it's not recommended for MC use. I used to really like RAM mounts, but lately they are getting to be a joke....

Got a question. What does the Zumo 550 use as a mount on the backside. The reason I ask is my look-a-like Streetpilot c550 snaps onto a 17mm ball, and I just got off the phone with RAM and they are telling me the Zumo mount bolts on?? And.... they don't have anything that will work with the STPilot. Even though when you go on their website for MC mounts,, and use their search engine, the mount they say to use on the MC says it's not recommended for MC use. I used to really like RAM mounts, but lately they are getting to be a joke....

I use RAM mounts for just about everything. If they had a "Wife Mount" I'd probably buy one :)

The only reason the C550 is not recommended for M/C use is that it isn't waterproof. A baggie takes care of that. I use two GPS units. A Streetpilot 2720, which is waterproof, and a Nuvi 1490T which isn't. I have no problems with either, and RAM mounts for both.

They have universal mounts that will probably take the C550, if not as elegantly as a dedicated cradle.

I'd love a Zumo, but, quite honestly, I buy motorcycles for less money and they do very little that other, cheaper Garmins can't do.

Even the LD Riders are complaining that Garmin have dumbed down the Zumo software.

Edit:

RAM do have a mount for the C550 .... here is one [ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RAM-FLAT-SURFACE-MOUNT-Garmin-StreetPilot-c550-/190492436510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a3be81e]NEW RAM FLAT SURFACE MOUNT FOR Garmin StreetPilot c550 | eBay[/ame]

and here is the mount for the Zumo 550:

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/RAM-Motorcycle-Mount-GARMIN-ZUMO-550-500-450-400-/160466704506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255c8f987a]RAM Motorcycle Mount for GARMIN ZUMO 550 500 450 400 | eBay[/ame]

This might help: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Locking-Motorcycle-Cradle-Hardwire/dp/B002YBK7XI/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IV0SMVJN55DSB&colid=Q54BML8ZY68C]Amazon.com: Garmin Zumo 550 500 450 400 Locking Motorcycle Cradle Hardwire Cable & RAM Mount: Everything Else@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FleleZGJL.@@AMEPARAM@@41FleleZGJL[/ame]

OK, so what I'm hearing is the Zumo does not have a socket on the back to take a 17mm ball. I always thought the StreetPilot c550 and the Zumo 550 mounted the same. Now I see that the Z is bolted on. To be honest I like the ball mount much better. The ST c550 GPS has a very positive snap socket. I just emailed the ebay seller who sells the stainless RAM clamp to see if he might be able to make a 17mm to 1" ball adapter. He makes the clamps to go either way. All he would have to do is put a ball on each end of a 1" post. Thanks for all the feedback... :thumbsup2:

Condor you need this item which will connect the Streetpilot to any Ram mounting plate.

The ball fits your unit, and the diamond plate fits the RAM mounts ....

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-g-ball-cradle-connector-ram-hol-ga22u.html

Nope.... That's the one that isn't worth a hoot. MOF RAM gives that one when using their MC search engine, and then if you read the discription below it says not recommended for MC usage. The problem is the thing has fins on the sides of the ball to make it 17mm and if you turn the GPS 45 degs off the 90 it won't hold a thing. And it won't go completely into the socket. I don't know what RAM was thinking of when they designed the thing....:confused07:

Nope.... That's the one that isn't worth a hoot. MOF RAM gives that one when using their MC search engine, and then if you read the discription below it says not recommended for MC usage. The problem is the thing has fins on the sides of the ball to make it 17mm and if you turn the GPS 45 degs off the 90 it won't hold a thing. And it won't go completely into the socket. I don't know what RAM was thinking of when they designed the thing....:confused07:

Ahh .. gotcha.

Two things then .... One of the universal finger cradles (I use one for my G2 phone), or ignore the warning. I have never had a GPS unit move 45 degrees on my m/c.

Question .... Are there mounting holes, or screws, on the back of the unit that would take the regular diamond mount with the 1" ball?

They other thing that might work on the Ventures is industrial velcro on top of the instrument housing.

Just throwing out ideas, you may already have considered these options.

The unit that tibadoe listed from Amazon is the unit you want.. I have mine mounted on the RSV (first was on VStar) and it works flawlessly... Plugged into the bike electrical system and the audio to the stereo system.. With the Z450 or 550 you listen to the directions given so you don't have to take eyes off road and also serves as your MP3 player etc

The unit that tibadoe listed from Amazon is the unit you want.. I have mine mounted on the RSV (first was on VStar) and it works flawlessly... Plugged into the bike electrical system and the audio to the stereo system.. With the Z450 or 550 you listen to the directions given so you don't have to take eyes off road and also serves as your MP3 player etc

Thanks for the info, but like I first posted I have the Street Pilot not the Zumo so the mount won't work. However, I did take care of the problem. I contacted the seller that made the stainless steal clamp that fit the RAM arm and he's already made me a 1" ball to 17mm ball adapter. When I contacted him he knew exactely what I wanted as I'm not the only one who's run into the problem with that RAM adapter. I highly recommend this clamp ... and the seller.

Ebay# 190550520800

Ahh .. gotcha.

Two things then .... One of the universal finger cradles (I use one for my G2 phone), or ignore the warning. I have never had a GPS unit move 45 degrees on my m/c.

Sorry to be vague. I meant rotate on the ball. The mount is really poorly thought out.

Question .... Are there mounting holes, or screws, on the back of the unit that would take the regular diamond mount with the 1" ball?

Nope. Just the 17mm socket. The dang thing looks exactely like a Zumo. That's why I assumed the mounts were the same. Not so....

They other thing that might work on the Ventures is industrial velcro on top of the instrument housing.

Thought about that too. See the response to SeaKings post about the adapter.

Just throwing out ideas, you may already have considered these options.

Ideas are good.. Once I get this GPS mount right I'll take a couple of pics so you can see what I'm talking about.... :photographing: