IGNORED

Modifications for LD Riding .... First Generation VR

twigg

The auxiliary tank is now fitted but, as yet, untested.

I wanted it behind the rider, gravity feeding the main tank. I can then ride until well into the reserve, then flick the lever and dump 4 gallons into the main from the reserve. That way I get the benefit of my fuel gauge for the whole 9+ gallons.

I do not necessarily intend many 300 miles between stops, but I want the flexibility and the peace of mind.

First I had to design and build a mount. I picked up a large piece of 1/4" aluminum, which is overkill, but it was cheap and available. I had a local guy do the TIG welding. He also welded the new exhaust stubs onto my broken collector box.

At the same time, I took the opportunity to make a secure space for a hydration system.

The back rest is a bonus, and it's in the perfect position. I still need to make a couple of brackets to hold it securely to the tank, but I am really very happy with it.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0653.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0654.jpg

I'll make a panel to cover the rough side of the backrest, and two brackets to fix it to the filler cap bolts.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0655.jpg

All those fittings are from Lowes. They are sealed with yellow PTFE tape, which is gasoline resistant. They are not the prettiest, but they are a fraction of the price of AN fittings.

The overflow hose exits behind the rear wheel and is tied to the rear mudgaurd.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0656.jpg

Finally, the whole system is Teed directly into the main gas line from the petcock, right before the inlet to the fuel pump.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0657.jpg

I thought you were supposed to use a DeLorean when you make a time traveling vehicle. :stickpoke:

Motorcycle Superstore were fresh out of Flux Capacitors :D

On a more serious note .... Very little has been done that can't be undone in about 30 mins.

The tank comes off very easily, leaving almost no signs that it was there .... The electrical upgrades are all hidden which just leaves the equipment shelf, and that's simply held on with two bolts.

Twigg,

Nicely done. Have you ran a ground wire from the tank to the bike frame? Might be a good idea (IBR requirement, but not generally required for any other rallies that I know of).

FYI, I generally turn the main petcock off and run off the aux tank. When it runs out, I reach down and turn on the main, reach back and turn off the aux valve, and then run the main tank. Not really concerned with how full the aux tank is. But your way will be just fine.

You are getting this machine ready for some good LD riding. Should be fun.

RR

The last job, scheduled for tomorrow morning, is to run the ground wire.

It wouldn't need one, being metal, with a metal mount ... but it's mounted onto the rubber of the grab handles and so is isolated from the frame.

It's a five minute job to fix and I have 1 gallon of gas ready to test all the connections.

The best half and I put 200 miles on last night and I rode fairly agressively. I got 45 miles per gallon two up and 70 mph. Our bike has the Ignitech TCI with the MAP sensor file in it as posted by dingy.

I would have been first in line for that Group Buy .... but the budget won't stand it right now.

I have watched the development of the unit, and thoroughly appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

Meanwhile, I just set up a 280 mile test run .... The bike needs a good shakedown, it has had major repairs and additions and is due to enter it's first Rally at the end of September.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran a first full test yesterday.

272 miles run at Bun Burner Gold pace (1500 miles in 24 hours).

It is necessary to keep up an overall pace, including any stops, of 62.5 mph to achieve this.

My test was short, but it was long enough to run a full gas cycle so I know that I am on the right track and could keep that up, weather and traffic permitting.

I left home and had some distance to go to hit the Interstate, which was I44 through Tulsa .. all torn up and very slow.

Eventually got onto the Turner Turnpike for Oklahoma City and was able to up the pace. Cruised down to OKC at about 80, then went north on I35. The wind was horrible, and it was hot but the bike and I were doing fine.

I headed East on the Cimmaron Turnpike and made the first 10 minute stop at the Toll.

I switched to the axillary at 174 miles, when the main tank actually ran dry. That gave me three more gallons useable. It got me just short of Tulsa where I refilled with 7.5 gallons and stopped ten minutes.

Arrived home without incident a little later.

272 miles

3 hours 54 minutes moving

70 mph moving average

22 minutes stopped

64 mph overall average

Had I continued then the next 300 miles would have been all Interstate and would provide a cushion for longer stops. I realised this as I saw the average speed creep up from about 45mph to 60mph once I got on the Interstate.

A couple of very minor issues, but the bike ran beautifully and it wasn't until sometime later that I realised that the state of my butt hadn't even crossed my mind.

One GPS is too dim, but I have two. The intercom needs some fine tuning, but I could hear my GPS instructions, and the music, quite clearly.

The on-bike hydration needs fine tuning but worked just fine as did the aux. gas tank. It's amusing belting along at 80 watching your gas gauge go up!

Edited by twigg

Ive been watching this thread for a while. Quick question. As I dont have the tools or knowledge, would you consider making and selling a setup like you have for the gps mounting and such?

David

Let me run it a bit before I decide that, to make sure it doesn't fall off first :)

What I would say is that if I were to take some better pictures then it might be cheaper to simply have a small local shop make you one.

Honestly, it is just aluminum stock with a few bends and holes ... Most shops could make one in less than an hour.

There are commercial versions for modern Sports Tourers. They look a bit fancier but cost hundreds of dollars.

I don't have any objections, however, to making and selling them.