Last night I had the VR idling (fast- 2000) for about 20 minutes while I fiddled with the headlight alignment and it boiled over. It has idled for longer than that in the past without boiling. The outside temp was about 66F so was probably not a factor. Could not hear the fan going so that is likely the cause of the problem.

Did not find anything in the Tech Library and the search will not accept fan as a keyword so anything in particular I should know about troubleshooting this issue?

has somethng like wiring or anything wedged in the fan stopping it from running? Myfan motor made some squealing noises and the fan didnt want to spin early this spring but I sprayed some wd40 in there to clean things a bit and about a week later I oiled the bushing a bit as wd40 isnt really a lubricant.

brian

Not that I can see all the way round the fan but it does not look like there is anything that would be stopping the fan from turning. Today was the first time I have ridden the VR so not a lot of experience with the fan at this point. During my several rides today the temp gauge sat at about 1/3 the way up the gauge. It was not until I had returned home and was messing with the lights while idling that it boiled over again.

During the winter while the VR was in storage I ran the engine several times until it got 3/4 of the way up the gauge which was about 20 minutes or so. No boiling over but never looked to see if the fan was working. Perhaps with the warmer weather the fan is now needed to keep the temp down. Tomorrow I will connect the fan directly to the battery to see if it works.

I have insurance on the VR now and will be commuting to work on it starting Monday. Sure hope to get the fan working before then in case the traffic gets backed up.

One of the biggest problem I have seen with the fan operation is the connection on the temperature sending unit. Usually, the connector gets loose and will not ground, which I believe turns on the fan. This connector is behind the bottom of the right fairing. You will have to take off the crome side cover to get to it. Many times, cleaning and tightening the connetion will fix the problem.

RandyA

I have had the sensor connector apart and cleaned the connections. I did not think to check to see if they were loose though. Today when I test the fan I will also check that connector and the ground.

Thanks