IGNORED

Lets talk Fuel Mileage,.....again,...

I know that it has been discussed a lot and I have been searching reading through past post to see what I can find as well.

My bike(97 Royal Star Tour Classic with 35K miles) has the Barons Big Air Kit installed:

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/254/ ,....along with Barons Nasty Boys Exhaust. It runs Strong, Sounds great, but I only get about 32-34 MPG with it,..No matter how I drive it. This seems very low compared to what I have been reading in past post's.

I have new plugs, run synthetic oil, have had the carbs synced at an idle (they needed it), but still have no improvements.

Would the bigger jets in the Barons Kit make for the poor fuel economy? I would consider different jets if it would bring me closer to the 40 MPG mark.

I called Barons today and they were no help at all,..

Any input would be appreciated,. Its just a bummer to have to fuel up every 125 miles when the others that we ride with can go 200 miles on a tank with their v-twins.

I'm going to say probably so. The big air kit combined with the larger jets and the free flowing exhaust probably did buy just a bit more power but the larger jets likely means that it came at the expense of fuel mileage. You may very well lose any gained performance but you will probably get better mileage.

If you are willing to spend some time pulling carbs on and off, changing jets and doing plug color checks, rejetting may buy you some fuel economy back. I would be concerned that simply returning to the stock jetting may be too lean with both an after market intake and exhaust. Too lean will result in burned valves and or pistons.

Did you also raise/shim the needles in addition to larger jets? I'm not familiar with the Barrons Kits so not sure what they recommend/advise you to do. Most "jet kits" are close enough and tend to be on the rich side to prevent valve burning at the expense of some fuel economy. Jet Kits quality vary and may not have the same precision as an OE Mikuni Jet.

Getting the ideal jetting when making changes from stock carburetion and exhaust takes time and patience.

RSTDdog

If you are willing to spend some time pulling carbs on and off, changing jets and doing plug color checks, rejetting may buy you some fuel economy back. I would be concerned that simply returning to the stock jetting may be too lean with both an after market intake and exhaust. Too lean will result in burned valves and or pistons.

Did you also raise/shim the needles in addition to larger jets? I'm not familiar with the Barrons Kits so not sure what they recommend/advise you to do. Most "jet kits" are close enough and tend to be on the rich side to prevent valve burning at the expense of some fuel economy. Jet Kits quality vary and may not have the same precision as an OE Mikuni Jet.

Getting the ideal jetting when making changes from stock carburetion and exhaust takes time and patience.

RSTDdog

Thanks for the input guys,..

I bought the bike last fall and the Barons kit was already installed, We have put about 4500 miles on it so far. I have no idea whet the jets are in it and what they are set at. I have a lot to learn on this bike and will have to do some research on it. I did download the Barons instructions but the Big Air Kit but with there are no pics,..I work better with pics. However I am not afraid to tear into them either.

Guess Ill have to check it out and see what I have.

Thanks again,.