IGNORED

rear dif. lube

Kregerdoodle

YES...it will be fine....it can be purchased at wally world..or most auto stores.

just dont keep swapping types of oil..

Pick a type of oil and stay with it forever...

I use Mobile 1 synthetic 75/90...

http://www.autobarn.net/oil26101.html

Hey Eck, I have heard your comment before about not swapping types of oil. But others I've talked to say it doesn't make a difference. I lean toward your point of view, but only because it makes sense to pick something good an stick with it. I cant' defend that point of view with any better reason. Can you educate me on why it is best to stick with one type of oil since the manufacturers all say they are compatible with oil of the same ratings?

Guest KitCarson

ENGINE oils perform a multitude of functions in your engine including lubrication, cooling and cleansing. In order to perform its duties, numerous chemicals (additives) are added to engine oil. For instance, detergents are added to engine oil that aid in the removal of sludge and carbon deposits. Dispersants are also added to keep any debris in suspension so that they can be easily removed from the engine when the oil is drained away. Similarly, molybdenum compounds are added to improve anti-wear properties of the oil.

There is currently no data available to support the idea that mixing different brands (and indeed different grades) of engine oil will harm your engine. Similarly, there is no scientific data suggesting that mixing mineral and synthetic grades of engine oil will result in permanent damage to your engine.

The only exception is the pure synthetics, as polyglycols do not mix with mineral oils. If you are unsure of your oil bases, then it is best not to mix.

What is obvious however, is that mixing different grades and types of engine oil will result in the degradation in oil performance, hence when a synthetic grade is mixed with a mineral based oil, the synthetic oil will not performance like a true synthetic blend.

Oil manufacturers blend their oils in accordance to the requirements that they set out to achieve and as such, the proportions of the different additives blended into each and every single brand of engine oil varies. Mixing different brands of oil can easily upset this delicate balance, but on the other hand, there are no studies to suggest overall engine life will be reduced.

This seems to be the general theme of thought in all the information on oils that I have found. As for the rear gear lube which is not engine oil.....I would not think it would make much difference........as long as you stick with a full synthetic hypoid gear lube.........is any of this stuff true??? I really do not know.......tis just what all the books tell me. Kit

Kit answered it better than I can...

I treat oil like my woman...

When you find one you really "believe in" I strongly suggest you dont change out play around with other types because your vital organs are at stake and could cause internal and external damage

costing many dollars in repairs....:whistling:

Originally Posted by Kbay viewpost.gif

question is, has any one used Super Tech full syn. 75/140 ?? and would it be ok to use??

YES...it will be fine....it can be purchased at wally world..or most auto stores.

just dont keep swapping types of oil..

Pick a type of oil and stay with it forever...

I use Mobile 1 synthetic 75/90...

http://www.autobarn.net/oil26101.html

The Super Tech does not say Hypoid on it any where... does this matter??

I cant get the manual to open on my computer right now, but I suggest you look at your manual and use the type it calls out.

If it calls out to use Hypoid type oil then I would use it.

Ah ha...I got the manual to open:

here is WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS TO USE:

REF: Page 9-2

Gear lube to be: SAE-80API "GL-4" HYPOID GEAR OIL

So..if your Wal-Mart "Super Tech Full Synthetic oil" is not HYPOID, then I would not use it

Hypoid is simply for extreme pressure gearboxes, which is good for a differential..

What is hypoid oil?

It is gear oil with an anti-scuff additive required for hypoid (offset) style ring and pinion gears.

I found this on a website about hypoid gears;

Because of the sliding contact that hypoid gears make, their

hydrodynamic contact pressure is higher. To be suitable for use with

hypoid gears, a lubricant must be capable of resisting high pressures.

Oils with "EP" ratings (Extreme Pressure) such as EP90 are required.

Some brands describe themselves as "hypoid" instead, a term which is

synonymous with EP. GL-5 is a formal API standard for this type of oil.

Leonard

I found this on a website about hypoid gears;

Because of the sliding contact that hypoid gears make, their

hydrodynamic contact pressure is higher. To be suitable for use with

hypoid gears, a lubricant must be capable of resisting high pressures.

Oils with "EP" ratings (Extreme Pressure) such as EP90 are required.

Some brands describe themselves as "hypoid" instead, a term which is

synonymous with EP. GL-5 is a formal API standard for this type of oil.

Leonard

Super Tech Full Synthetic 75W / 140 is as follows:

Recommended where API GL-5 , API MT-1 , SAE J2360, MACK GO-J, MIL-PRF-2105E (PG-2) are Specified.

Thanks for the info Leonard.. and All....

First, synthetic oil CAN be mixed with regular oil with no ill effects whatsoever. In fact the many "blended" oils are just that, synthetic and regular in a 50/50 mix usually. The only possible ill effect is you are not going to get the full benefit of running a synthetic oil.

Second, I suspect that the prohibition against switching oils in diffs comes from policy with positraction differentials on cars where they use a plate type diff with some material, or in transmissions with syncronizers with clutch type material.

In some cases, the type of lube you have will soak up the soft materials, and when you change lubes, the new lube won't really have an effect for a few miles till it replaces the old lube. Sometimes, in transmissions mostly, it can change the feel of the shift a little, but if the lube meets the standards, there isn't any harm.

In a diff like the Yamaha bikes, there is no posi since there is just one wheel, and you can change lubes all you want, since the gear metal won't really soak it up any.

Don

Amsoil dealer.

Guest KitCarson

I respectfully dis-agree.......I agree with Eck!! I have also found oil is like a woman......and mixing the types has gotten me into trouble several times!! I will stick with one brand.:stirthepot::stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

KAYBAY,

This might be of some help for now... give them a call.

Customer Service No.:800-468-8397

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16004077

Ah ha...I got the manual to open:

here is WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS TO USE:

REF: Page 9-2

Gear lube to be: SAE-80API "GL-4" HYPOID GEAR OIL

So..if your Wal-Mart "Super Tech Full Synthetic oil" is not HYPOID, then I would not use it