IGNORED

2004 VStar 1100 misses under light load, Carbs??

tompa3

I returned to riding after 40 years absence and bought an '04 VStar 1100 with 1,500 actual miles. Starts and runs fine except for a miss at very light load --- almost coasting. I've run 3 tanks with Seafoam and it's a little worse. I started out running mid-grade gas and then switched to low grade 78 octane when advised by a friend. Local dealer does not have a great reputation for repairs --- at least by some opinions. I am moderately good at mechanics and have good tools but no experience with motorcycles. Don't mind doing it myself and can follow instructions but they need to be in plain/idiot language. It looks like some may have replied to my earlier posts --- I could not find them --- I may know less about these "thread things" then about my bike. THANKS FOR YOU HELP & PATIENCE. Tompa3

I have never touched that particular bike; in fact, I do not even know if it has carbs or FI, but it sounds like a lean-miss to me. Considering how lean engines are set up to run at idle now to meet federal regs, this might just be normal operation for that bike. But a vacuum leak could cause it too.

If it has carbs, this would be very easy to fix. If it has FI, you will need a new map to change the mixture, or maybe it has a bad O2 sensor?

Goose

I have an 05 V-Star 1100. They are rock solid.

1) check/change the plugs

2) sync the carbs

3) check/adjust the TPS (throttle position sensor)

4) run 87 octane gas

If it sat awhile, may have to remove the carbs to clean them or run a higher mixture of seafoam. Drain the tank, add new gas and 50% seafoam (just a 1/2 gallon mixture). Will smoke like crazy but should clean it.

Also, never, ever give it gas while trying to start it. Use the choke. If you try to twist the throttle you will get a kick-back to the starter and twist the starter bolts and ruin the starter & FLYWHEEL. Super good web page here: http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

THANKS. I've checked plugs and they are clean as a pin. Front plug is a little bit fouled/wet.

I'll search for info on how to sync carbs --- got any good sources, or do I need to buy a Clymers manual ??

Tompa3