IGNORED

2002 RSV cruise erroring out

Went for a 5 hour ride today and had the cruise control disengage 3 times after hitting very rough interstate patches.

Top two cruise lights were flashing a 2 flash pattern. Had to turn cruise off and back on to get it working.

Is this a known problem or something I can correct.

Bob

Marshall, il

Page 3-6 of the 2007 manual reads:

"WARNING:

If the cruise control system is defective, the "SET and "RES" indicator lights will flash simultaneously. If this occurs, turn the cruise control system off and have a Yamaha dealer check it."

First time I have heard of this happening.

Some folks have had issues if the brake lever or pedal are set to tight on the micro switch such that they trip the switch on hard bumps of if they have leather fringe on the levers.

Ive had it happen before. I just shut the cruise off and turn it back on and it works fine after that.

If it does it when you hit a bump, you may have a loose connection somewhere that is being jarred.

You might want to check out all the cruise control connections and make sure they're all tight.

No fringe on this bike. They were pretty rough series of bumps that tripped it. Will see how light a pedal press it takes to disengage the cruise on next ride. Could ne the bumps vibrated the pedal enough to induce it.

Bob

Earlier this year I was suffering a lot of cruise control issues where heavy head winds would disengage the cruise control and any little bump encountered, ants, blades of grass and broken pavement would also disengage the cruise control..

Turns out my throttle cables were loose. After adjusting and tightening the cables (only the one at the throttle grip was loose) everything works fine after that.. I've hit some major potholes and bumps and the cruise control stays locked on solid..

Check your cables.. if you have excessive movement when you twist the throttle gently, this would be a fair indication of loose cables.. Tighten them up and test drive..

Search out an earlier thread started by me where someone recommended what cables to check out. Cheaper and easier than letting a dealership do what you can easily do yourself..

best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you fixed the problem with the previous suggestions.

If you didn't, it could be caused by the rear shock if it is starting to get a bit warn out. Found this out a few months ago. Cruise would stop working for no apparent reason, lights flashing etc. Shock just felt a little different, & when that was repaired, cruise works perfectly again(better than ever)

:301:

Chezley