Hey wingers, has anybody out there tried a Packit Rak OR one of the similar rigs that mounts to a trailer hitch? I'm looking for more carrying space (more room for momma's stuff and a small cooler) and really would prefer NOT to trailer... I've had a guy I met at a shop rave about the packit set up, but I'm not sure I want a hole in the rear fender:confused24: (though on HIS bike he had a reflector that covered the hole when the rack wasn't installed.!) Anyway, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!! :fingers-crossed-emo

Hey wingers, has anybody out there tried a Packit Rak OR one of the similar rigs that mounts to a trailer hitch? I'm looking for more carrying space (more room for momma's stuff and a small cooler) and really would prefer NOT to trailer... I've had a guy I met at a shop rave about the packit set up, but I'm not sure I want a hole in the rear fender:confused24: (though on HIS bike he had a reflector that covered the hole when the rack wasn't installed.!) Anyway, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!! :fingers-crossed-emo

Get a Kuryakyn (or similar) hitch that has the vertical drawbar tube, then you don't have to have a hole in the fender.

I have a rack that I use on mine, it is great. Used to have a trailer, pulled it on one trip. Then sold it and have used the rack since. I carry a plastic tote bin on mine...pretty good size and waterproof. Got it from WalMart.

The rack is a great item, IMO.

Joe

My Wing came with a Rivco hitch which also requires a hole in the rear fender but also came with a lighted reflector when the hitch is not in use. You can also get a lighted reflector that doubles as an additional brake light.

I leave the hitch installed and added a quick detach rack for carrying a cooler or an extra bag. Used it on my cross country recently and it worked out great! The beauty of this system is that I can use the hitch to pull a trailer without removing the rack adapter. I can also put an adapter on my trailer tongue so the rack can be used when towing also. Another benefit is that I have a flag pole holder that also fits the adapter when I go on PGR missions.

Versatility is the name of the game!

My Wing came with a Rivco hitch which also requires a hole in the rear fender but also came with a lighted reflector when the hitch is not in use. You can also get a lighted reflector that doubles as an additional brake light.

I leave the hitch installed and added a quick detach rack for carrying a cooler or an extra bag. Used it on my cross country recently and it worked out great! The beauty of this system is that I can use the hitch to pull a trailer without removing the rack adapter. I can also put an adapter on my trailer tongue so the rack can be used when towing also. Another benefit is that I have a flag pole holder that also fits the adapter when I go on PGR missions.

Versatility is the name of the game!

I have the same one and the rack is GREAT especially to carry a cooler with COLD beverages in while riding on these hot days around here!

Thanks Guys. This agrees with exactly what I was thinking. I like the idea of having the extra space for a rack to carry a cooler or extra luggage and, maybe a trailer one of these days. A hitch that will do both makes more sense than the dedicated Rak setup. Thanks again!