IGNORED

Alternator noise on intercom and phone

I originally posted this on one of the Goldwing sites and got no response. For the last few weeks I've been trying to get my telephone synched up to work through the Zumo like I had it on the RSV. When I connect the mic splitter I get a lot of noise that sounds like alternator whine and I really don't know what to try next. The noise is coming through the mic circuit. Without the intercom on I don't hear it on the bike but the person on the other end of phone call does. I could live with that. However, when the IC is turned on the noise is unbearable. So far I have checked all connections and grounds. I replaced the noise isolator on the AUX input. I've tried both an MP3 and Edsets mic splitter. I tried unplugging the mic from the GPS but the noise is still there on the IC. If I take the mic splitter out there is no noise on the IC. I have the Honda rear passenger controller which gives you a filter that is plugged into the mic circuit. I've tried with and without it and there is no difference. I can increase or reduce the noise by moving the wires around but I can never eliminate it. Would a torroid magnet on of the wires help? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for any help,

Dennis

Maybe cappuccino machine is causing a feedback.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Sorry I couldn't help it..

Is that related to the oil dispenser fitted to Harleys?

Seriously .... Yeah, something not shielded or grounded correctly would be the usual culprit.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post a follow up to my noisy phone problem. I tried mic splitters from BikeMP3 and Edsets along with various ground loop filters/isolators and all failed. I had just about given up and assumed that I wouldn't get the phone to work on the wing. As a last ditch effort I called the folks at Kennedy's Cellset.com. I talked to a very nice lady there that quickly told me what components I would need and $138 later I have the phone work pretty good. The person on the other end of my calls still ocasionally hears a bit of alternator whine at times when I am acclerating hard. But overall I'm happy with the setup.

The difference with the Kennedy system is that everything stays within the IC circuit. Unlike the setup I had on the RSV, The IC has to be on to talk on the phone. And the mic output is controlled by the volume control on the IC. I've found that for normal riding the wife and I need the IC volume set at 9. At that level the mic to the phone over drives the phone to the point of distorting you voice. Turning it back to 6 or 7 is fine. Also at that low level I lose the road noise that I normally get back through the headset at the normal IC level.

Now I can chat with my friends next week as I drive across the boring plains of SD, if I can get a phone signal.

Dennis

Call J&M or better yet Sierra Electronics don't have the webb site right of the bat, but you can look it up. They will fix ya right up, there is a filter you add to the bike takes that out. I have a small whine but its so minimal it only does it occationally.

Felix:twing:

I thought I would post a follow up to my noisy phone problem. I tried mic splitters from BikeMP3 and Edsets along with various ground loop filters/isolators and all failed. I had just about given up and assumed that I wouldn't get the phone to work on the wing. As a last ditch effort I called the folks at Kennedy's Cellset.com. I talked to a very nice lady there that quickly told me what components I would need and $138 later I have the phone work pretty good. The person on the other end of my calls still ocasionally hears a bit of alternator whine at times when I am acclerating hard. But overall I'm happy with the setup.

The difference with the Kennedy system is that everything stays within the IC circuit. Unlike the setup I had on the RSV, The IC has to be on to talk on the phone. And the mic output is controlled by the volume control on the IC. I've found that for normal riding the wife and I need the IC volume set at 9. At that level the mic to the phone over drives the phone to the point of distorting you voice. Turning it back to 6 or 7 is fine. Also at that low level I lose the road noise that I normally get back through the headset at the normal IC level.

Now I can chat with my friends next week as I drive across the boring plains of SD, if I can get a phone signal.

Dennis

Glad you got this corrected, Dennis. Hope you have a G-R-E-A-T trip. Keep us all posted on your adventures.

Joe & Donna