IGNORED

Little help witha Nissan

Reddog170

My nephew bought an 86 Nissan pickup. Starts right up and drives good. The problem is it has NO power. when you punch it it just falls on its face. I changed the plugs, wires, rotor cap, distributor cap, air filter, fuel filter, sea foamed it, and reset the timing. Now the lady he got it from said that she had just put this engine in, also said this engine had a ton of power in the donor truck and when her mechanic put it in this truck it had none.

Any ideas? This thing will not even get to 60 mph. Shaun

Sorry bout that, 4 cyl, 2.2 5 speed manual trans

same motor in our fork lifts

just below the carb. on the side of the intake you might have a inspection plate with two screws remove this plate and you may see a spring loaded butterfly inside the intake area -this regulates the air & fuel (governor) if so check the butterfly and see if its stuck closed if so this is where your problem is use some WD40 or PB Blaster to free up the butterfly

Buddy

83 Ford F800 with a 460 gas motor!!!:cool10:

Should run ok then........

Or it could be one year different and the firing order goes from 1342 to 1324

Could be 2 valve or three valve per cylinder. Could have been a FI converted to Carb or visa versa.........

The 8th digit of the current truck and donar truck must match from the vin number. Automatically assume you are chasing a man made issue. Start from the beginning and verify the engine put in it BELONGS in it. Could be a ka24e, or a z24, or a z24i :whistling:

Go to the truck you bought. Count over 8 digits on the vin number and post that number.

Edited by royalstar09

The 8th digit is an I, it has a Z24I engine in it, I think that because that is what is on the valve cover. The "donor truck was also an 86 nissan, just had a really bad body on it.

I have to eat crow a little. On the nissan it is showing the 4th digit as the engine code, not the 8th as with others. Also with you having a fuel injected engine and it running badly its quite possible it threw a code. Worth a trip to have codes pulled. As mentioned above from another member do not rule out exhaust either being plugged. I still am betting on a man made issue. Could be tough to chase down though.

Edited by royalstar09

The forth digit is an N. On another note, I had to turn the distributor to the max to get the timing in. Shaun

I am betting base timing is off somehow. He could have changed out the distributor and has it off time. You should NEVER have to crank a distributor foll turn any one way or another to get it in time.

The possibility is still there for plugged exhaust. Especially not knowing what happened to the engine they took out. If it popped a head or piston and filled the exhaust with antifreeze, oil, or a combination of the two.

Check base timing

Check to make sure the plug wires are ono correctly.

Check for plugged exhaust

Good exhaust flow, can only hold my hand over the exhaust for a couple seconds before pressure blows it off. Switched the coil wires around, no difference there. Wondering, thinking that when the engine was put in they may have put the distributor in a tooth off throwing out the base timing.

No matter what my nephew loves this truck so I have to fix it. Also he says he only get around 17 mpg out of it, to me that is way low. Shaun