Hello,

I am leaking oil (not just a few drops) on the Right Side of motor, from in front of where the Clutches are... there is a cover that say's YAMAHA...it is leaking from under that area.

I cleaned the area, went for a ride... and now had a "smear" of on the underside of whatever cover that is...smearing over the clutch cover...and can see oil marks on my leather luggage... all on Right side of bike

HELP!

What is that cover? What is under it...

Is it a function of replacing a gasket?

i can't think of it right now but i have a 97 with that side torn down, will look at it tomorrow and get back to you. the guy that owned it before me sais this motor has a blown head gasket and started to tear it down before i bought it. get back with you asap, don.

If you have oil coming from there, it's best to check it out, or sooner or later you'll run out of that slippery stuff and then you'll be on here complaining about some noise and a slow running engine that now refuses to start.

Check to make sure that the oil is coming from under the clutch cover, it may be coming from up higher, so it's best to define the exact location. If it is the clutch cover, carefully try to tighten the bolts holding it on, don't over tighten these, and if you have one that is loose, that might fix your problem, if not, put the scoot on the side stand, remove the cover and then deal with a new gasket. If you need help with that,,, post again.

Thanks.

I beliee the area is the Water pump... not sure how it is leaking from that area...just that is the most forward area with oil smear...and as high up as I could find.

One possibility is that the mechanic who replaced the clutches (Barons) over filled with oil... used all 4 quarts, and this is the aftermath.

I am going to clean the area (again) and remove some oil from the case (it is just a tick over 1/2 to 3/4 up the sight glass... and run it for a while... stopping every few miles or so to see if there is seepage.

I have put over 300 miles since the clutches were replaced... if I have to pull the tank (no IDEA of how to do that! Would like to see it done mefore doing it!) and check the air filters for signs of oil overflow... that will have to wait till NEXT weekend, as I have my daughter this weekend and am pretty booked solid.

I HOPE this is due to a slightly overfilled case....but am not sure where the drain hoses would come out to see if this is the case?

What is the purpose of the "hole" on the underside of the waterpump housing?

If looking at the housing "oval" towards the rear of the bike...looking from the pipes up towards the water pump... There looks to be a weep hole of some kind... What is the purpose of this?

I find oil around the area, and can not make a determination as to the source.

Oil seems to be right around on the chrome cover that attaches to motor.

Could also be cingular from somewhere else and getting blown here... But near as I can tel that is as close to source as possible.

Removing the tank is not a big job, Remove the seat, you have a couple of bolts under there, then there are 2 bolts at the neck of the bike, remove the chrome cover over the speedo, unhook the 2 plugs and hose there, unhook the fuel hose at the valve, and there is one more plug under the seat. Take your time it is an easy job.

If the clutch was just replaced he may have not cleaned all of the gasket material, Pretty easy job and if you have the bike on the kickstand you wont loose much oil. You have to be careful on the clutch bolts as they need to be torqued to only 89 IN. LB's If it was overtightened that may have messed up something as well.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge,.. not much hu?,..keep us posted,..

I BELIEVE it is doing this as a result of an over filled oil.

been monitoring it over the past few rides (making sure there is oil) and have seen a diminishing amount on the side of the bike.

This past ride, rode it like I stole it...for about 100 miles or so... NO oil on the side of the bike. Oils is SLIGHTLY above 1/2 in the sight glass.

Going to keep an eye on it for the next few rides...but I think I may have slightly over-reacted. Thanks ALL