IGNORED

who knows what?

Guest Swifty

Guest Swifty

Sometimes students come into my class and I'm sure even they don't know what they been smoking. BUT have you ever had conversations with a pair of gurus who KNOW what they been smoking? I'm posting up the latter part of conversations I've had with them. If you're a guru (who knows what they are smoking) what would you say?

100km run, doesn't run smooth, you can really tell putting on the power at low rpm. New plugs, no difference. Next?

Good luck on your trip.

Have to figure out if it is electrical or fuel issues. New plugs, ride it, and then look at them. Running hot or fouling.

Rough in low rpms? does it clear when you get it going? Rough all the way through?

Then you think about what to start looking for. Good answer eh

New spark plugs, no difference. Next?

Also it would be interesting to note whether or not the plugs are firing inside the engine. You'll have to go for another ride to here to find that out. Also, did you remove the ignition wires when you changed the motor, so are the wires going to the right plugs from the right coils. Still need to know what kind of ignition wires you have,,, copper or carbon?

The other thing could be that the boots under the carbs are not seated properly, they may have come off after you put them on properly,, it happens,,,, that would give false air into the cylinders and also throw off a carb tune, and so you would have the same symptoms that you have now.

Carbtune done with Tuckett's unit, with Tuckett watching, I've done it a dozen times myself too.

Wires are copper, not carbon.

Wires were not removed during this engine swap. Regardless, I know which wires go where.

Carbs are seated properly on the boots. I've taken the carbs off the bike every winter as part of my normal cleanup, with last winter being a total rebuild, ran good. On reinstallation for one of those times I didn't get them seated properly on the boots and noticed that fact by how it ran before I got to the corner stop sign, black smoke, that is not the problem this time.

I'm concluding it's a fuel delivery issue. How about you? Plugs removed looking a very little bit white ...too lean a mixture?

If it were my bike sitting here, I would check all the plug wires to make sure they are firing properly,,, just to rule that out,,, buuttt too lean a mixture will also give you problems but then it would tend to bog out when you twist the throttle,, which I don't think it does. Some more questions then: Do you need a choke for a cold start? Does it run better with the choke partially closed? Did you replace the fuel filter? A far out question,,,, are you sure it's a 1300 engine?

Something that's interesting is the way it starts and takes off, doesn't seem to be any problems there.

Post it up, and see if anybody else has better ideas.

Carl

some more answers then...

I need choke for a cold start, same as always, between a quarter and half of the lever.

I does not run better at partial choke.

Fuel filter gets replaced with every rear tire change.

The Pinwall Cycle video shows the bike coming in was a MkII with '89 colours. The engine that I picked up had all the 1300 badging on the side covers.

I'm still stuck on ignition. When I sprayed WD40 into the intakes, it didn't change anything. So if the fuel delivery was on the low side or none at all, it should have smoothed out, if the fuel was rich it would have started bogging down, that's why I would think ignition, and I would like to see if those plugs are firing under load.

Did you do a compression test on this engine, if it's low in a couple of cylinders, it would also present the same symptoms.

I'll tell ya'll what I say.....if I start caring more about what an engine looks like than how it runs, I must be gettin ready to ride a 2nd gen...OH WHAT HATH BECOME ME!

:confused24::bang head:

Sometimes students come into my class and I'm sure even they don't know what they been smoking. BUT have you ever had conversations with a pair of gurus who KNOW what they been smoking? I'm posting up the latter part of conversations I've had with them. If you're a guru (who knows what they are smoking) what would you say?

I'll tell ya'll what I say.....if I start caring more about what an engine looks like than how it runs, I must be gettin ready to ride a 2nd gen...OH WHAT HATH BECOME ME!

:confused24::bang head:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I have one that I have to polish more than I ride. Another one that I just RIDE!!