IGNORED

Front or Back ... which is which?

SilvrT

OK, I have been reviewing a lot of info regarding repacking mufflers, the following thread being one of many. Nothing that I've come across defines which is Front and which is Back. In my mind, the front is the inlet end and the back is the outlet (or the tail end of the muffler where the exhaust cometh outeth...) Am I right or wrong? :think: :think: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42168&highlight=repack

Yah, I say unto you, "That which goeth forward be the front." :rotfl:

Never actually heard anyone refer to it as front and rear. Most often it is inbound or outbound.....

I sent an email to Khromewerks to get info on how to repack and available materials and they themselves refer to it that way... they say to pull the baffle out from the Front. So, to interpret your Shakespear, you're saying the inlet beith thine front?

I'd say you have it right... Anyone who disagrees with you are wrong... What muff's you repacking??

The Khromewerks (well, not yet but I wanted to pull the baffles to check 'em) ... but to me it looks like they can't be pulled from the "inlet" end and if so, then why does one have to unscrew the end cap and the other screws that hold the baffle (or whatever) in at the outlet end.

The Khromewerks (well, not yet but I wanted to pull the baffles to check 'em) ... but to me it looks like they can't be pulled from the "inlet" end and if so, then why does one have to unscrew the end cap and the other screws that hold the baffle (or whatever) in at the outlet end.

And they say it's the front??? They're confused.....

And they say it's the front??? They're confused.....

Here's their email to me... (I've since emailed them back asking for clarification of "Front")

You can use bulk, high temperature automotive fiberglass but will get longer assurance period if a non-flammable wrap is used first (like the omnisil, which is a high temperature, ceramic fabric or a tightly wrapped spun steel wool mesh.)

Remove the mufflers from the bike. Remove all screws. Front transition (nose pieces) must be removed first. They were initially assembled using high temperature silicone so you may have to soften the bond using a heat gun. Pull the baffle out the front end of the muffler. Depending on length of time these mufflers were run you may need a penetrant to loosen the baked on carbon deposits.

Wrap the baffles TIGHTLY with the new materials, tucking the ends under the flanges. Use masking tape to finish wrap (this will burn off). The wrap must be tight enough to allow reinsertion into the muffler body.

Reinstall the front transition. Reinstall all screws. An awl is helpful to align the baffle mounting holes with the shell holes.

OK, let me say this about that. Lets put a practical perspective on this front and back subject. If eat a quart of egg salad, that would go in the front, normally. And then you fart, where the oder emanates from would be the BACK. :yikes: Does that clear things up any. :think: :crackup: :crackup::crackup::beer:

OK, let me say this about that. Lets put a practical perspective on this front and back subject. If eat a quart of egg salad, that would go in the front, normally. And then you fart, where the oder emanates from would be the BACK. :yikes: Does that clear things up any. :think: :crackup: :crackup::crackup::beer:

yes, it "practically" does.... :rotf: