IGNORED

How hard is it to change a rear fender?

Some of you may have read my thread about the hit and run Saturday. Now it appears I'm going to need a new fender. If I could save enough to cover the deductable I might try to make the repairs myself. Does anyone know how big of a job to replace the rear fender, right saddle bag support and trunk bucket? What all has to be disassembled? Here are photos of the parts that need to be replaced.

www.traynorphoto.com/rockytop

Thanks,

Dennis

Damn, that sucks dood.. luckily, the removal of the trunk and then rear fender, side bags and supporting members is a straight forward self-evident affair once you get started. I've had mine apart down to where the fender would have been next off, and for me it didn't seem that large of a task.. Taking your time and looking at the parts manual, say like at http://www.partsshark.com helps to visualize what you need to remove to take the bike apart..

Best of luck

Once the rear wheel is off the fender really isn't all that hard to remove. Had mine loose once, but not clear off and it wasn't that difficult.

Removing the trunk is pretty straightforward also, at least it appears that way. Nothing like on a Wing....I'd hate to have to remove the trunk on my 1800.

Good luck, Dennis.

I had everything off my Venture when I painted it - except the fender. That looked like a lot of unnecessary work for the paint job. For replacement of the fender, I believe you will have to take everything off the back end just to get to it. time consuming - not really hard

how much is your deductible ??

if it's only $100 I wouldn't mess with it -

I had everything off my Venture when I painted it - except the fender. That looked like a lot of unnecessary work for the paint job. For replacement of the fender, I believe you will have to take everything off the back end just to get to it. time consuming - not really hard

how much is your deductible ??

if it's only $100 I wouldn't mess with it -

Unfortunately, I have a $500 deductable.

Dennis

Once the rear wheel is off the fender really isn't all that hard to remove. Had mine loose once, but not clear off and it wasn't that difficult.

So you have to pull the rear wheel? Oh well, I've got a new Avon in the garage I was planning on installing later in the spring.

Dennis

Unfortunately, I have a $500 deductable.

Dennis

OUCH !!

Taking the wheel off is not really a big deal - I'm no where near a mechanic, usually can't even say the word but general work on the Venture is a PLEASURE ! buy a wing and do the same things - if your hair isn't falling out now, it will be when you start taking a wing apart.

OUCH !!

Taking the wheel off is not really a big deal - I'm no where near a mechanic, usually can't even say the word but general work on the Venture is a PLEASURE ! buy a wing and do the same things - if your hair isn't falling out now, it will be when you start taking a wing apart.

For many things, you are correct that it is more involved to work on a Wing. But not for the rear wheel. I can have my rear wheel off in 7 minutes....and back on just as quickly. How long does it take to remove and reinstall the rear wheel on your Venture?

:D

So you have to pull the rear wheel? Oh well, I've got a new Avon in the garage I was planning on installing later in the spring.

Dennis

Your rear wiring harness runs along the top inside of the fender. You have to remove the fasteners that hold the harness to the fender, unless you have very skinny hands and very long fingers (and I know that you don't) I don't think you can get to all the stuff you need to without removing the wheel. But hey, you can have that wheel off in a half hour or so. No biggie.

For many things, you are correct that it is more involved to work on a Wing. But not for the rear wheel. I can have my rear wheel off in 7 minutes....and back on just as quickly. How long does it take to remove and reinstall the rear wheel on your Venture?

:D

I agree that the wing has it with regard to the rear tire but that is the ONLY maintenance item where it shines - try taking your side bags off - or how about changing the air filter ??

nuff said -

I agree that the wing has it with regard to the rear tire but that is the ONLY maintenance item where it shines - try taking your side bags off - or how about changing the air filter ??

nuff said -

Side bag removal is more time consuming than on the Venture, granted. But not all that difficult. The air filter replacement is a bugger, but again, more time consuming than complex. If you have access to the DVD series by Fred Harmon, maintenance on a Wing is not overwhelming. It's like anything else, it gets easier once you learn the tricks.

But we ain't here to discuss Wing maintenance, are we? :D

Good luck with your repairs, Dennis. Hope it all works out for you.

Hey, just wait a couple months, and we can all join in on the repairs on your bike when we come for the Memorial weekend! Heck, in a couple hours on Friday evening we can have it all fixed up!

:big-grin-emoticon:

Good luck with your repairs, Dennis. Hope it all works out for you.

Hey, just wait a couple months, and we can all join in on the repairs on your bike when we come for the Memorial weekend! Heck, in a couple hours on Friday evening we can have it all fixed up!

:big-grin-emoticon:

Yeah, I thought about that. I don't have a problem with pullig the wheel. I can do it in about 30 minutes. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get an estimate. I'm going to be dealing with an adjuster out of Iowa via photos. Shouldn't be a big deal. I'm leaning toward just letting the dealer take care of it. I'm just not in the mood to fool with it.

Dennis