IGNORED

Aluminum Rim Repair?

ken

I have a few scratches in my front rim that I would like to fix. Other then sanding and polishing is there another way to fix the scratches. Or is sanding and polishing the best? If so whats the best polish to use?

Since I have no idea what bike you have, I'll just offer this word of caution - parts of 2nd gen rims are painted, either silver or black, and as far as I know just about all plain aluminum parts these days are lacquer coated to prevent oxidation, so any sanding and polishing will just make a mess.

Goose

Goose, if one did polish their rims, would a good quality clear coat work on them? or would it peel after awhile? just curious, I`ve never tried it.

Since I have no idea what bike you have, I'll just offer this word of caution - parts of 2nd gen rims are painted, either silver or black, and as far as I know just about all plain aluminum parts these days are lacquer coated to prevent oxidation, so any sanding and polishing will just make a mess.

Goose

I'm sure it could be done, but the problem is probably finding a lacquer or clear coat that is both compatible with the existing coating and good for aluminum and the severe conditions of a motorcycle. I have not tried it, but I'd expect numerous trial and error attempts if I did.

Goose

I know on the Warrior board, some polished their wheels and they had to keep polishing them. Im sure if you were to polish them, a body shop could shoot a layer of clear coat on them to seal them. You could also just exchange them for a set that have been chrome plated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-XVZ1300-CHROME-WHEELS-RIMS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ada020af7QQitemZ390204623607QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thru the years I've done R&R on many aluminum parts that were clear coated but got scratched, or just oxidized and needed to be polished again.

I have always sanded off the clear coat, then done whatever needed to be done to shine the aluminum back to where I wanted it.....and then just shot it with a spray bomb clear coat.

The longest I kept any of those bikes after rehab was five years, but the reworked aluminum parts still looked good.

Your best bet for longevity on aluminum is powder coating or anodizing. If you want the aluminum look for the best dollar, polish and clear powder coat. If you want colors, powder coating gives you solid vibrant colors and anodizing gives a softer color. Solid color powder coating hides a multitude of sins and is the longest lasting, IMHO.